Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Natasha (Contender) was singing the praises of the Pheasant and Partridge Retriever Training Dummies from workingdogcompany.co.uk but I just thought I would reiterate how good these are especially for young dogs.

I have to say I have always hated how pups/young dogs carry and hold our traditional shaped dummies, which is one of the reasons that up to know I have used puppy dummies or tennis balls but they still tend to toss these around.

Definitely not a traditionalist and always keen to try something new I decided to buy a couple of pheasant dummies and a partridge dummy from the above company for myself for Christmas :D mainly for the lads training (now 10 months and 7 months).

Pepper can be"a bit of a one" when bringing the traditional long dummy back, holding it by the end, tossing it around or keeping putting it down and readjusting it. All of which I hate but try to ignore not wanting to put too much pressure on him yet. Boots is better than Pepper but sometimes gets an end and not being very tall yet the dummy drags along the floor and then he trips over it :roll: etc. etc.

Anyway I have had them out with the new shaped dummies several times now and what a difference in such a short space of time. Pepper definitely just shovels them up in the middle (as there is no option) and there is none of the faffing around that we were getting previously. Plus the big big bonus (especially for Boots who is still struggling with his steadiness :roll: ) is that when you throw them they bounce around just like a shot bird does when it lands which is really helping with Boots steadiness (although his eyes are out on stalks 8O ).

So I really just wanted to share what a bonus I think these are too a young dogs training, and, of course they are not very expensive either :wink: :D .

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
They are great.

Mine were delivered just before Xmas and I have yet to try them out (due to losing my voice we haven't been able to do any training), but having dropped the Partridge one on the floor little Millie zoomed in, picked it up and paraded round the hall with it!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was toying with starting a similar thread. I got mine the week before Xmas and have to say I REALLY like them! :D I've been throwing them into heather and the way they bounce is great. And as Jill said they do encourage a proper hold. The final test will be to use them in water...

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Neil have yet to try the water - the ice is just a tad thick at the moment :wink: :D .

Although Pepper enjoys breaking the ice into big pieces and tearing around with it in his mouth teasing Boots :roll:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
oooh jill your bit about poor boots not being tall enough to carry the dummy by the end had me pmsl.... bless his cottons!

I have one of each too.... have tried the partridge one out so far and finn picked it up much better. i also find them easier to throw :oops: :wink:

I think they are great :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts