Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brooke was mated on 29th June, and sadly after a scan last week she is not pregnant. However, she is having a very convincing phantom. I have been jolly'ing her up this last week as she is very mopey, grumpy with other dogs, walking on her walks, not interested in much at all really.

Now she has gone off her food, and this morning was sick, just bile, but no more since this morning. She has had a couple of charcoal biccies, and her food last night stayed down, but she will not even look at her own food today and I had to really encourage her to eat last night. Is morning sickness normal in a phantom? Or do you think she has picked up a bug?

This is the first phantom she has had, Roxy had phantoms before she was spayed to a much lesser degree. Any tips ?

G

·
Hmm. I've not had one suffer any sickness during a phantom, although I know plenty do during pregnancy. Were they absolutely positive there were no pups in there? If they were and she is still off colour tomorrow, I'd be inclined to take her to the vet, just in case she has a Pyo grumbling away.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jules, this is what is worrying me.

Will take her along tomorrow if she is no better.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Jac - are you sure she definitely isn't pregnant?

I know someone recently who was told their bitch wasn't in whelp - only to have a subsequent scan which discovered the embryos sitting very high up and simply missed on the first one. Likewise, I believe if there is only one or two in there they can be missed on a scan.

Either way, hope she is OK

Sue

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying NOT to think that she may be pregnant Sue ( I don't want to get my hopes up!)

I think if she continues like this I shall have to take her back because she just isn't right .

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Jac if you find she definitely isn't pregnant then put her on Skullcap and Valerian Tablets from Dorwest Herbs and get her out working and using her brain, so she sleeps instead of thinking "puppies".

But you need to make absolutely sure first.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jill.

I shall see if she is still off her food, may try her with some scrambled eggs tonight. If she is sick tomorrow morning I will book her in for another scan and go from there.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Wicca had two phantoms before she was spayed. She was sick during both of them. The first one she was off her food for about a week, only picking at chicken and bringing up lots of bile. Whatever is causing Brooke's sickeness, I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Carley said:
Wicca had two phantoms before she was spayed. She was sick during both of them. The first one she was off her food for about a week, only picking at chicken and bringing up lots of bile.
I think part of the concern here is probably the bitch has been mated so could well be in whelp - and having heard recently of a couple of instances of misdiagnosis - you can never be too sure :( not a nice time.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Yes I understand that, just that no one had confirmed whether or not a bitch might be sick during a phantom. Just saying it can happen :(

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
No advice, as I've never experienced such a thing but just wanted to say I'm sorry about how things turned out :( (unless other news is to follow)

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, Carley it is nice to know that her sickness may be down to the phantom.

Sue, I have heard of misdiagnosis too but I am convinced she isnt, but I wont risk giving her anything whilst there is still the slightest chance.

The trouble is , wether she is or she isn't, she absolutely believes she is, I just want to be doubly sure that this is phantom, and not something more sinister.

I obviously need to see the scanner again, just in case . Then I can get on with helping her over this.

I really do appreciate everyones views :) And we shall try try again :D

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
HI, I went through exactly that with Millie. After having one normal pregnancy we tried for another litter twice and both times phantom including sickness every day for five days. scans were true both times tho we were both convinced they were wrong. We are going to try again with a different dog.
Hope your scan IS wrong but i hope this helps you not to worry too much
Christine and Millie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts