Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Jenson at the vets on Friday for his second injection and we where given a puppy pack for him inside is a Petback tag and information ,I was wondering if its worth the money restring with Petback.

We already have Jenson micro chipped so would the Petback be a bit of an over kill? :?

G

·
Hiya,

We had Oscar chipped when he was little and also set up petback protect, so he always wears his little tag on his collar.

We thought about whether it was worth it, but decided to do it just to make sure that we covered every angle if he should ever go missing.

A chip is all very well and good as long as he is found by someone who takes him to a place that has the facility to read it, but his little tag has a number that anyone can call from anywhere and Petback can then contact us to let us know where he is. (they hold as many numbers/contact details as you want)

I know that we could have put his name and our telephone number on a tag on his collar, but were strongly advised against doing so by various people.

They also offer various services if he ever gets lost where we can call them and they send round information about him to all the local vets, shelters etc at the touch of a button.

They had a special offer I think when we rang up to set it up where it was a certain amount each year, or the best option was to pay monthly for 10 months at £4.99 a month and then he is covered for life.

I remember them sending us a kit too, so that we could take a sample of his DNA from his mouth on a swab. If I remember correctly this was so that we would have proof that he was ours if anyone ever found him and claimed that he was theirs.

I think it's just up to whether you feel it's worth it, but after weighing it all up, we decided that it seemed like not a lot of money for a lot of help if he ever did go missing.

HTH Sarah x

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi,Dylan was microchipped at about 10weeks old and we are with petcode if i remember rightly it was only about £10 and they only charge you something silly like a fiver to change details if you move.I have had no request for any more money and i am sure its for life.Dylan did also get his little tag with his chip number on but i think it's at the bottom of the pond,but i still have his details on his registration form.he also has his labby tag and his tag with name phone no and post code on and i remember having to get a new tag as they would not let him take the final test for the puppy class bronze award without those details.Lynne.

·
Registered
244 Posts
On a related subject... by law, when out and about your dog has to have your name and address somewhere on it. The fine is actually £5000 for failing to have this, though I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted!
Probably not a good idea to have the dog's name as it may help someone steal your pet.
I copied this from elsewhere on the web:

The Control of Dogs Order 1992

1. This Order may be cited as the Control of Dogs Order 1992 and shall come into force on 1st April 1992.
Wearing of collars by dogs
2.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, every dog while in a highway or in a place of public resort shall wear a collar with the name and address of the owner inscribed on the collar or on a plate or badge attached to it.

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not apply to—
(a) any pack of hounds,
(b) any dog while being used for sporting purposes,
(c) any dog while being used for the capture or destruction of vermin,
(d) any dog while being used for the driving or tending of cattle or sheep,
(e) any dog while being used on official duties by a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces or Her Majesty's Customs and Excise or the police force for any area,
(f) any dog while being used in emergency rescue work, or
(g) any dog registered with the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
exactly what the whole class said about the name on the tag,but if you want to take the test then thats what you have to do,so 5 new tags had to be done for dylans class.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Before having my lab we had a german shepherd and she went missing while on a walk, She must have chased a rabbit or something and got lost, we searched for ages but were unable to find her.Her name tag had worn through a week before and we had not replaced it yet. Luckly a couple found her 2 miles from were she was lost, they said that they had been unable to scan her but had found the pet back tag and rang that. The pet back people were great they contacted us and put us in touch with the couple that found her to pick her up. So now Ben has a micro chip, name tag and petback tag. Best to be safe than sorry. I must admit he does jingle when he walks but you can always hear him coming :lol:

Cristina & Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts