Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will come to the end of the six weeks free insurance soon and I am now undecided between Pet Plan and Kennel Club. Both offer £12k p.a. and lifetime policies but I think it is only KC that insists on us paying 10% of each claim.

My main concern is that we have the best possible cover (but I would prefer the hefty premiums to cover it rather than the extra 10% as well!)

I would be hugely grateful if anyone had any personal experience of either of the policies, or any opinions on which way to go!

Many thanks

Clarissa & Poppy :D

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
I've always used Petplan, and pay approx £32 per month for each of my dogs, Indie and Tau. I've never claimed a penny on Tau's insurance, but have probably claimed more than I'll pay in Indie's life time on the policy. She's had a couple of ops, plus follow up treatments, as well as several other procedures. I've never had any problems with Petplan and found that vets and other organisations are willing to wait for payment from them direct rather than having to pay and then claim back.

Good luck deciding, it's always going to be a gamble with insurance policies, you hope you will never need them, but then you just might!

·
Registered
16 Posts
pet insurance

I use More than pet insurance. £12.59 per dog. I haven't claimed on it but my vet said they are a good insurance company to go with.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I found Petplan and the KC insurance a bit too pricey for my pocket. I believe they are both good companies when it comes to making claims etc - this is something I've fortunately never had to do so far.

I'm now with Greenbee (underwritten by Axa) and pay £26 per month for 2 dogs for 7K cover per condition for life, with an excess of £75 I think. M&S policies also seem quite good.

I don't think you'll go wrong with PetPlan or KC if the price of the premium is agreeable to you.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
We have used Pet plan for years without any trouble ( they are expensive though !) One instance that made me pleased that I was with Pet Plan was a situation I had with my Border Collie , he had to have an operation because of a tear to a cruciate ligament , op went well and he made a good recovery :D , pet plan paid up no prob and then after another year the other back leg started so he had to have that one operated on and vet said that alot of other insurance companies would not pay out for the second op because it was classed as the same prob eventhough different leg ! thankfully pet plan did not take that stance so we were greatful at the time we were with pet plan otherwise we would had to find several thousand pounds :roll:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I've just switched from Petplan to Tesco pet insurance and am saving a hefty amount for the same cover! More than half the price.

Just in time for me going part time at work - priorities changing, I'm afraid!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think you have to look closely at policies as some are more restrictive than others. I too am looking at Petplan v Kennel Club. I spoke to KC this morning and their premium for my dog is £34 a month, or ten months for 12 if you pay a lum sum.
However, the £1OK cover is for each separate incident/illness and covers the dog's whole life, not £10K per year. So a long term ailment will be limited to £10K worth of treatment IN TOTAL.
Petplan offers £12K PER YEAR. I'm still trying to work out the best buy.
I did use Tesco and it was cheap but I was limited to £2K or one year of treatment per condition. I ran out of cover when my dog developed liver problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts