Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of getting pet insurance on Jenson.
And im wondering if anyone knows if there are any insurers to avoid and which ones are really good.

G

·
Marks and spencers are good they charge us 132.00 a year we pay monthly with no excess and when Murphy had his foot thingy we recieved a pay out quite quickly, you get £7000 pounds worth of treatment. We researched on the net and they are really good

·
Registered
669 Posts
I also use Direct Line. I haven't had to claim anything yet fortunately.

I joined up with ASDA pet insurance about 2.5 yrs ago. Then after a yr of paying them they wrote to me to say their Pet Insurance side is being closed and after a yr of no claims I now had to find a new insurer. Then about 6 months later they started advertising their Pet Insurance again...so they aren't on the top of my list.

Direct line - I pay £30 a month for full cover for two dogs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi jasoon i have three labs and i have them insured with direct line my black lab has thyoid trouble and is on tablets for the rest of her life they will pay for this i cannot fault them in anyway yours sue

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi,

Harvey is insured with Direct Line - £12.75 per month for the advanced Cover.

We luckily haven't claimed yet for him, but they were really good when we claimed for one of our cats.

I can't recommend insurance highly enough!

Fay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Zack is insured with Direct Line - can't fault them at all. We recently had to claim after he had emergency treatment and surgery for a blockage in his intestines. The guy on the claim helpline was brilliant, and the vets bill went straight to Direct Line to pay direct to the vet - we haven't been out of pocket at all. It was all sorted within a couple of weeks with no fuss or bother. And all for just thirteen pounds (or so) each month.

I do believe insurance is well worth having for our labs. These vet bills can really mount up. The bill for Zacks treatment came to just under £900 in total - no way we could have afforded that on our own.

Elaine

·
Registered
244 Posts
By coincidence I have been ringing round vets this morning asking for opinions about insurance and unofficially all three of them said whatever you do, don't go for anything underwritten by E&L! They had all had clients who'd had terrible problems trying to get any money out of them.

I think which one is best for you depends on how risk-averse you are. Some of the supermarket policies have odd exclusions, but then again ones like Marks and Spencer will cover for £7000 every year for vet fees, for the dog's life, with the same amount renewed every year provided you stay with them. Sainsbury's also seemed good - their cover is £6000 per condition, but you have to pay after that if your dog is unfortunate enough to have an illness that costs more than that over its lifetime. We are in London, which means we tend to have to pay more for everything, and don't have access to some of the better policy options on Direct Line, for example. :cry: Pet Plan were recommended by all the vets I spoke to as well, though they're very expensive for our postcode. I think we are going to go for M&S.

G

·
Swillsy

Unfortunately Corrie is insured through E & L (didn't know any better 11 years ago) - and what a nightmare they are. When he lost his eye about 9 years ago I had £1,000 worth of vets bill and I had a nightmare of a time getting money out of them. From start to finish they seemed to mess everything up and their premiums rise at a hell of a rate and I find their excess's are dreadfully high.

Corrie is now too old to change him to another company, but I shall NEVER EVER use anyone underwritten by E & L.

Sam

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yep, I've never heard any good stories about them! We found what looked like a fantastically cheap quote from Animal Friends, who are underwritten by E&L. They give their net profits to animal charities, which really appealed to us. But then we started hearing the E&L horror stories and decided not to touch them with a bargepole!

Sophie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts