Labradors Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my word 8O

I thought I would spend this morning getting some quotes and comparing policies.....I've also read through some past threads for opinions

I still just don't know what to do for the best 8O

Bailey is currently insured with Axa (due to expire in next few weeks), I have never claimed although I did take her to the vets during the last 12 months with an eye infection

Bonnie has 4 weeks free insurance with petplan as we only rehomed her on saturday......she has a clean slate as she has come fully vaccinated & hasn't needed to see vet for anything yet

So :roll:

Petplan have just quoted me £67.72 for the supreme cover for 2 dogs....the budget cover being £47.26

The budget sounds a good policy when comparing to other companies, but Bailey's first year of insurance was with petplan and I left after the first year as they raised the premium soooo much it was silly 8O

As Bonnie is older than Bailey (approx 4 years the home have said) & I now have 2 dogs the possibility of a claim is higher and I am looking for a policy that I may have to stay with for life now

Directline quoted a good price but I'm worried as it's only £6,000 per condition.....I would prefer an amount per year for life which is what I currently have with Axa

I like the idea of no insurance, and putting money away each money but I know me....I will spend it :oops:

So....in conclusion, I need insurance but don't know who with :roll:

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Think I have decided to stick with Axa for both dogs......I think :roll:

Wonder if I can cancel the free 4 weeks insurance with petplan, as I would rather have the full policy starting now??

Petplan say it hasn't been activacted yet but the paperwork won't have reached them yet

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
I guess Bonnie wouldn't be covered for anything that the rescue treated her for before you adopted her, would she, as that would be an existing condition, assuming the insurance started upon adoption? So you're not losing out by moving her to AXA are you?

I have policies with Petplan and one with M&S - I took out the M&S one when they were underwritten by AXA, otherwise I'd have gone with Petplan or AXA direct.

I think Petplan still offers one of the best policies but they're not cheap :( and I'm tied into all the policies now anyway.

Em_n_Bailey said:
I like the idea of no insurance, and putting money away each money but I know me....I will spend it :oops:
I think also, you (one) would have to save up for some time first, before canceling insurance, to have enough put by for a vet bill before cancelling. Even if you saved £40 a month for two years, you'd not have enough to cover a £1k vet bill, for example. Plus I'm rubbish at saving :lol:

I know you're renewing, but it's also worth noting that - in this sadly increasingly sue everything/anti-dog society - it's a good idea to have liability cover in case there's an incident involving your dog.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Angela....I agree that petplan policy seems the best, especially the supreme, that's what I had in bailey's first year but the cost 8O

I feel 'comfortable' with Axa, although i've never claimed so don't have experience of how they are in that respect

I think I'm stopping looking through policies for today though.....it doesn't half get confusing, the way they are worded :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
having been in the insurance industry, it does help me when looking for Policies

Petplan - although they offer the highest cover level (that i have found) they want nearly £45 a month for Bramble (which would increase obviously!!), in the end i settled for AXA as although the cover is slightly less its per condition per year so it is "for life" in the broadest sense of the terms

others i looked at that offered around 6k cover included

Halifax
M&S (koff! who from other threads on other forums raise and raise their premiums so in 2 years you are paying almost double what you start with)

I am happy with the AXA policy, and i read all the small print <g>

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Glenys said:
in the end i settled for AXA as although the cover is slightly less its per condition per year so it is "for life" in the broadest sense of the terms
I've read that before about policies, that they are £x amount per condition, per year, but looking at the policy it's then seemed to be £x amount for vet bills, total, per year, not condition?

Have you got a link to the AXA bit that says per condition per year? :flower: Looking at the site it just says up to £7k per year in vet's fees but I haven't done a quote this time, so is that an option you select further along?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Axa isn't per condition per year.....it's the amount per year, for life

'The AXA Insurance pet policy for cats and dogs covers up to £7,000 per year in vet's fees'

So after a year the £7,000 starts again (in theory)

It is all so confusing isn't it.....each company offers something slightly different 8O

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I am with AXA for both mine, and made a claim this year for Skylar. She decided to chew on a battery and had to see the emergency Vet...long story. Anyways I made a claim to AXA and they paid up pretty smartish with no problems whatsoever. Although the claim was only a small one, but all the same they were fast and efficient. :)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meli said:
I am with AXA for both mine, and made a claim this year for Skylar. She decided to chew on a battery and had to see the emergency Vet...long story. Anyways I made a claim to AXA and they paid up pretty smartish with no problems whatsoever. Although the claim was only a small one, but all the same they were fast and efficient. :)
Thanks for that, it is good to know

Hope Skylar was ok though

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Just wanted to add my money saving tip.....unless you have papers for Bonnie and she is a pedigree then you can rightly assume she is a lab x for insurance purposes.....it usually saves you a few pounds.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Basil said:
Just wanted to add my money saving tip.....unless you have papers for Bonnie and she is a pedigree then you can rightly assume she is a lab x for insurance purposes.....it usually saves you a few pounds.
Oh no we don't have papers for her, I suppose it's just from taking the word of the previous owner......ooooo interesting, thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've just been searching for insurance for Zak. I didn't realise insurance was sooooo expensive :( Petplan have just quoted me £17.63 a month for their covered for life policy £4,000 vet fee's per annum (which the vet recommended). I'm also not sure what to tell insurance companies what breed he is as his mum is springer and dad is a lab! So is he a lab x, spaniel x or just a crossbread?? :?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Kazzy, he's not a breed he's a cross. Usually online insurance companies have a drop down list to select from, if lax or springer x is on there you could select either - but usually it's just pedigree breeds listed so you would select cross or non-pedigree.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for that Basil, i've also spoken to Tesco insurance who told me that if he looks like a lab then he's a lab x :lol:
From reading through the threads on here and with the help of google - I think Petplan it is :)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
We have Mac insured with Morethan - OH was moaning recently about the cost of the monthly premium :roll: and threatened to cancel it.

Today I received a cheque from them for £572 (minus £70 excess) from when Mac swallowed a stone, so that is more than we have paid over the 2 years!

Don't cancel the insurance, I am so glad we didn't :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts