Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I noticed a minute ago that Pepper's left ear is rough and hot to the touch. (A little like fine sandpaper) And there is a sort of fluid collecting in the folds. Below are rather poor photos of what I'm talking about, one is of her ear (while trying to keep her still) and the other is of the goo on paper towel. I'm wondering what it is. There isn't a stink - which I gather is good. Any idea what it is?

I am thinking she'll need to visit the vet tomorrow - am I right?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Hannah & Pepper xx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
How often do you clean her ears? And yes, I think you'd be best taking her to the vets.

I'm guessing the vet will prescribe some canaural, or similar. Personally, I don't like keeping the inside of the ear wet. so once you've got rid of this infection, I would start a regime of checking and cleaning regularly. Rather than wait for any visual signs, smell her ears, I use cotton wool pads and pull the muck out towards the outside of the ear flap, it's important not to shove dirt down into the ear. Then sprinkle with thornit and massage in (JohnW recommended thornit years ago and it's been a Godsend).

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tarimoor said:
How often do you clean her ears? And yes, I think you'd be best taking her to the vets.

I'm guessing the vet will prescribe some canaural, or similar. Personally, I don't like keeping the inside of the ear wet. so once you've got rid of this infection, I would start a regime of checking and cleaning regularly. Rather than wait for any visual signs, smell her ears, I use cotton wool pads and pull the muck out towards the outside of the ear flap, it's important not to shove dirt down into the ear. Then sprinkle with thornit and massage in (JohnW recommended thornit years ago and it's been a Godsend).
Her ears are cleaned more or less weekly with the most recent episode last Friday. I'm surprised this sprung up as she's usually great with her ears. I am wondering if she picked something up, rather than it being due to dirt. We have had torrential rain for the first half of this week (Saturday to Tuesday). I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Anyway, I plan to take her to the vet today and see what he says.

Thornit - what is it? I live in Spain so would need to look for an equivalent.

Thank you for your helpful advice,

Hannah & Pepper xx

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Oh poor Pepper!
Looks similar to Roxy's ear infections ! Does she do a lot of swimming Hannah? Thats how Roxy picks hers up, i dry her ears now everytime she has a swim to minimise infections.
Hope Pepper feels better soon xx

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Merlin used to get sore ears from swimming in the sea. I rinse his ears with clean water when we've been to the beach and dry them well. Hope Peppers clears up soon.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your input.

The Vet had a look at Pepper's ear and once swabbed, decided it was a reaction to something in the field - likely a mite of some sort.

We've been given antiseptic fluid to flush the ear and clean the flap with (and then dry thoroughly) 3 times a day. And an antibiotic pill to take 3 times in total. I have to say I found it almost impossible to remove the antiseptic from the bottle! I feel like a bit of an oaf - but thankfully OH returns tomorrow and can cast another eye over the whole palaver.

We also go an education on local snakes to avoid (see previous post) and booked Peps in for her laprascopic spay - 10am January 15th.

Also, my skinny minny was weighed today 23kg. And she's 10 months old. Thumbs up from the Vet! (I think they must have some programme going on) But to be honest, Pepper is a vaccum for food and is still skinny! (my stepmother is the same, bless her) I, on the otherhand am a Celtic BLOC! :lol:

Hannah & Pepper xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts