Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red was a good Lad, big, about a 100 pounds, maybe 9 years old when when he came to live with us. If we were late getting home to fix his dinner he would do it himself. He got into a 15 pound tub of kibble, another time took some Betty Crocker No Fat Sweet rewards off the table and ate the sweets, wrapper, box and all. Prenisone drove him bonkers. Came home to discover he ate several packages of unpopped microwave popcorn, green tea and anything else he could find.

Over time Misty's nose ferreted out a bag of Dove chocolate drops, and she and Red devoured a four pound box of Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix. That looked like a messy murder had accorded on our beige carpet. The fudge packets had been punctured and sucked dry-no fudge in the carpet.

They survived each adventure with a bit of panting, stomach upset and creamy , chocolate smelliing stool.

Tina my mum's Lab snatched a 12 ounce package of chocolate drops off the back of the counter while mum was out picking up something she needed for the recipe. She only weighed 55 pounds and it could have been worse. When i got there Tina looked very annoyed and put out she was beiing force fed hydrogen peroxcide. She thought I was going to save her from her tormentors. She finally threw it all up but it is amazing how much a Lab can eat.

There are other things that can do very nasty thing to a Lab. Here are some. You can also google a search

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?specie=Dogs&story_no=257

http://www.uexplore.com/health/poisonplants.htm

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thanks labdad for this info.

Its important to be aware of these things isnt it.

Only yesterday, we took Brad on a walk and he must have licked something from the pavement, and it definately didnt agree with him as he started to froth at the mouth. We were very worried, but after a couple minutes he stopped, and was fine. There are some nasty things around and with them being such greedy gobblers its important to be aware of the dangers. Thanks for bringing it up.

I bet Red & Misty had a fantastic time with the Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix, while the cats away hey! lol. Bless them. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
My pup Coco has eaten a whole bag of frozen prawns, she did leave a little of the bag in her bed, maybe she was saving it till later!

As i did not learn the first time :oops: I again left some chicken peices on the side to defrost and yes, yet again she ate 2 and a half of the 5 peice bag.

I have now learnt not to leave anything on the side, every food item is put away! It takes time but i get there in the end!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have learned the hard way with Buster. About 2 years ago he managed to devour a whole pack of Ibruprofen tablets, about 16 of them.(each were 100mgs). I'd left them on the sideboard and he managed to get them off. I came home from work and discovered the remains of the packet on my bed. I immediately rang my local vet who asked a couple of questions like how is his behaviour, was he lethargic or bouncy, what tablets were they so he could administer the right treatment. Buster ended up having two mastic gun size charcoal mixtures pumped into his stomach, 4 injections and a course of medicine to rebuild his stomach lining. The vet later said that 8+ tablets were a lethal dose....

Since this I have made sure that i keep all medicines out of his reach!

He made a full recovery and is still as bouncy as always!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My pup Coco has eaten a whole bag of frozen prawns, she did leave a little of the bag in her bed, maybe she was saving it till later!
Hi Bubbles :)

Sounds like Coco was saving them for a midnight feast! lol.

And Hi Buster :)

I too have learned the hard way with Buster. About 2 years ago he managed to devour a whole pack of Ibruprofen tablets
I bet that frightened you! Glad Buster was ok after treatment. They will try and get hold of anything won't they! I know the minute i put something down there will be a little pair of eyes lurking in the distance waiting to investigate! It's like having a child around and child proofing everything! Luckily he's usually only interested in his big box of toys these days, so thankfully our shoes & slippers are having a well earned rest! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts