Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't really wanted to 'steal' Jill's topic and as this is hopefully going to raise a debate.

I don't know if this alternative x-ray method has been mentioned before but I'm truly intrigued by the use of PennHIP compared to 'our' method.

What really got me interested was this quote from the University's website:

The degree of hip joint laxity, as measured by the PennHIP method, has been shown to be the most important risk factor in determining whether a dog is prone to developing CHD.

The whole method is explained in depth on the website and a bit much to put on here but basically they take more pictures of the hips and also measure the laxity of the joint. The other 'revolution' re this method is that it is possible to use accurately in puppies as young as 16 weeks!! 8O

This is the link to the research and method:

http://research.vet.upenn.edu/Default.aspx?alias=research.vet.upenn.edu/pennhip

It's some 'heavy' stuff on there but very well explained and mind pussling especially as we all agree about the complexity of hips and HD. This perhaps makes even more sense when you've had an experience like Jill or any other owners/breeders that have been in the same or similar situation. It certainly got me thinking as well as one bitch from a previous litter that I've bred has come back with a total score of 22 where as the rest of the scored litter sisters and brothers have all come back with no higher scores of 8 (total) and again, like with Jill, having gone through EVERYTHING even notes regarding the whelping, there is no explanation :roll:

So, have any of our very 'own' LF hip 'experts' come across this method? ever used it? or what do people think in general about this method?

Natasha

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Natasha.

I am looking forward to reading the replies. :)

·
Administrator
21,500 Posts
I've been looking at the "Penn Hip" way for some time with mixed feelings.

Firstly I am a little concerned that with this way there is no direct comparison with the existing scheme, so really, it would need a full stop on the existing BVA screening and a fresh start with this, with everybody being in limbo until there are enough results to be able to see where we are.

But my other thought is that it is a system less at risk to the vagaries of the positioning of the dog, so less prone to errors.

But then, with only a couple of places in the country carrying out this test I guess it's a non starter at this time.

Regards, John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts