Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that Fidgit burnt all the pads off her paws at the end of last year. The problem I now have is that they haven't healed all that well and every time we take her out on a hard surface she ends up with really sore paws and in some cases blisters :(

Someone has suggested that I use Paw Wax to protect her paws when out on hard surfaces. I've never used this or heard of it before now. Can anyone advise if it would help her at all?

Thanks

xxx

·
Administrator
21,507 Posts
Paw wax is aimed at show and obedience dogs being worked on slippery flooring, to gibe them grip. I dont think it would be of the slightest use for what you want Lesley.

Regards, John

G

·
I wouldn't think Paw Wax would protect her pads, if anything it might make them even softer :? .

I know Surgical Spirit is used to harden up skin and stop it blistering but how you would apply that to a dogs paws safely, who knows.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bum :(

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can harden her pads?

We've tried to build it up slowly but we keep having to stop because of her blisters so it's always back to square one.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Lesley, we have just been having a paw problem with my wirehaired viszla and have been in touch with Culpeppers ( google sled dogs and it will come up ) which are for sled dogs. They have been very helpful .

We are using something called pad heal and have on order some mushers secret which I understand offers good pad protection .

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
You could consider those little shoes which are used for working dogs which might come into contact with glass? That'd mean she'd be putting pressure on the pads to harden them, but they'd not be in direct contact with the ground.

Something like these?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts