Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone had ever used paw protectors for their dogs.

Charlie has 2 sore paws/pads which we think is probably from road salt. We avoid it if we see it but sometimes people put down ordinary salt when it's icy which you can't see

We'll start to wash his feet as soon as we get home but before buying paw protectors, I thought I'd see if anyone had used them

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I have a pair of these for Ruby

http://www.snowpawstore.com/active-dog-gear/dog-boots/comfort-dog-boots.html

I would say they are ok. They serve the purpose if Ruby damages her pad and protect it from getting worse and were cheap. However they really only stay on if walking along, anything more and they tend to come off.

I would probably spend more money to get something more boot like.

Hope this helps.

Chloe

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
A friend of mine has had boots for one of her Staffies in the past, due to foot problems. I think they stayed on really well, but weren't cheap. Do you want me to ask what make they were, as I can't remember.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I use Mushers Paw Wax on Lilly's paws but I had been looking at boots for her, to be honest the ones with good reviews are really expensive!

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts

·
Registered
15,284 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you.

His paws are so much better now, so i think I will probably try the paw wax first and if it happens again I'll get some boots - not sure about his street cred though wearing boots :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just curious here.....

I'll be looking into boots next year as we'll be doing a bit of camping and iv heard a dogs claws could put holes in the ground sheet of the tent. Anyone know if it's true ?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have these ones which we bought for Gemma due to the same problem.

http://www.muddypaws.co.uk/dog-coats-clothing/boots-shoes/grip-trex-bark-n-boots?sid=nga40be5plk5ab56fecf404a23

They stay on just fine - you can get the socks to put on the dog first but although we bought the large ones, they weren't big enough for Gemma's big feet. I used a child's pair and that was just fine.

The cheap ones do fall off and don't last from what I am told.

It is hilarious when you first put the boots on them - they don't want to put their feet on the floor so by the time you have all four on they are hopping all over the place. It soon settles though and after the first time, they just don't take any notice of them.

I have just got a pot of Musher's Paw wax for Cassie as she had a sore between her toes - haven't used it yet as there is no grit on the pavements at the moment.

Don't worry about his street cred Wendy, he will be one of the with-it dogs as there are quite a few wearing them now.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
PlymouthSam said:
Just curious here.....

I'll be looking into boots next year as we'll be doing a bit of camping and iv heard a dogs claws could put holes in the ground sheet of the tent. Anyone know if it's true ?
We've never had a problem with the dogs claws damaging the ground sheet when we used to take him camping. We did get a tent carpet which got a bit hairy and doggie smelling, the tent was warmer but got a lot more condensation.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hello Wendy as you know with Ben`s allergy his paws get sore all the while ive tried boots no good for Ben he walks as if hes got false legs hates them and bites them off as others have said i use paw wax in winter just make sure you put it on by the door as it does mark carpet or rubs off on carpet .
And i always keep ben in when sore pads he dont mind not being walked though as hes very laid back but know some dogs love their walks and know what time they go . What happens with ben is his pads the ruff bit comes off and its red raw but heals in around a fortnight just try and stick to grass if you can its the cold and tarmac / concrete that does the damage. Hope this helps but wouldnt waste money on boots personally. Just use some cotton wool and crape bandage the grippy stuff only need it on for your walk with maybe some sudacrem on the sore thats what i use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts