Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Labrador dogs was not well a few weeks ago the vet thought she had a tumour near her bladder but after giving her antibiotics she is fine now she is 7 but now dosent seem to drink tap water .she was always drinking out the canal..that is how i think she got the infection has anyone else had this problem .thank you paul

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Labradors are good at "Living off the land" and most will find somewhere to drink when out, if they want. But if you think she picked up an infection from the canal then the answer is simple. Dont let her drink there! There can be many reasons why a water source can be polluted, Bluegreen algae is one, another is infected rat urine. But canals are generally flowing water, which is usually less of a problem than still water because the polluted water is continually being replaced by fresh water flowing down the stream, where still water just lays there getting gradually more and more polluted. You say she wont drink tap water, but believe me, if she was thirsty she would. No dog would die of thirst if there was water available, even id she did prefer canal water. How much water a dog needs, that depends so much on what she is fed. Tinned dog food for example contains up to 80% water!! Dried compete foods are generally up to 25% moisture, a huge difference! Generally raw feeding is somewhere between those two figures, almost impossible to accurately define because it could comprise so many things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for you're advise I have had labrador dogs from the age of 15 but never had this before..hope everything is ok at the difficult time stay safe everyone

1 - 3 of 3 Posts