Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

We've got our new pup, she's my 3rd lab :) I've never seen patchy colouring like this, and am wondering if its normal or rare genetics or maybe a skin condition? Looking back at pics when she was few weeks old she had the markings then too, maybe not so dark.

She is itching quite a bit and it seems to be getting more often, but she has no rashes or anything noticeable on her skin. My previous lab had many different allergies, and I'm thinking the itching may be allergy related, but thought I'd mention it.

But the patchy colour? Its on her ears and she also has a dark mark at the top of her head.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
The spotty ears are perfectly normal and will almost certainly fade into an all over colour as she grows. (I've had several who started with spotty ears. ;) ) I think you will also find the mark on top of her head fade away in time as she gets bigger and grows her adult coat. Nothing to worry about. :)

The itching could be fleas, but normally on a yellow Labrador these are obvious!! But they could be mites. These are so much smaller that you dont see them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you John! :)

That's so interesting - I wouldn't have guessed their coats do that! I quite like her head spot - she's my little unicorn :) Just glad it's not some sort of skin disease!

Mmm yes I had thought the breeder had treated the pups for fleas, but I hadn't thought about mites... I'll get on that! I just really hope it isn't allergies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts