Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perro has had serious wind and gurgly tummy problems for the last few weeks. :( His tummy will bloat and then the wind will start from both ends.
I don't mind him being 'one of the lads', I don't mind a good farting competion but he keeps winning :roll: and he shouldn't really be windy every day.
He is OK otherwise, firm poo, active, playful, good weight, etc.

I took him to the vets last night and she thinks it 'may' be pancreatic, either overactive or underactive. It might not be pancreatic but to be sure, one way or the other, he is going for blood tests tomorrow morning.

I've tried him on hypo-alergenic food, I've tried doggy pro-biotics, I've tried human pro-biotics. I've cut out all fatty stuff. The only thing that seems to make a bit of a difference is charcoal biscuits.

He will most likely be put on Hill's i/d from tomorrow to see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone any experience with 'windy' Labradors or pancreatic problems in dogs?

:D

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Bob - I've no experience as such with pancreatic problems - save that it was one of the things they thought Neo's problems could be as the symptoms were very similar...

Now ths is for an underactive pancreas as Neos pancreatic function was way way down....

you get large volume very pale soft (think albino cow pats...) stools - with a yukky smell....

Perro's symptoms don;t sound like that to me....

Treatment is with Pancrex which helps them digest the food - and is bloomin' expensive - my wallet is STILL in shock several years later!!!!!!

Hope you get an answer and it is nothing serious....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
No experience of pancreatic problems but hope he is ok.

I give mine Lacto B probiotic powder if they have a bit of an upset tummy/when they are wormed and I think it's fab but sounds as though you have already tried similar.

You don't feed them Burns do you? I gave mine that for a while a few years back and oh my word, the wind was dreadful!

Hope it's something that can be sorted out easily.

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eve:
His poo is as it should be. Big and firm. :p
The Hill's i/d is for dogs that have digestion problems including pancreatic disorders.

Angela:
He's on Skinners F&T Salmon.

It may not be pancreatic, the blood tests will tell.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Bob

Cori is being treated for this very problem, she is not putting on weight and it very small. She is on Hills I/D and AB's, if this does not clear things up she will be going onto Pancrex as Eve described. She has not got firm poos yet but things are improving :)

I do hope Perro is OK, Cori does not have wind problems :? Sorry that is probably no help whatsoever but I still hope that Perro gets the all clear :)

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bloods have been taken and now we have to wait for the results.

Perro is now on Hill's i/d and nothing else, 300gm split between two meals, so we will see if his belly settles.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Hope Perro's tum settles down on his new food and the blood results show nothing serious.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Here's hoping that you get to the bottom of it Bob (no pun intended - honest :wink: ) quickly... and that it is nothing serious....

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news :D his pancreas is working perfectly. The blood tests also looked at other things and they were all OK.

The Hills i/d has made a big difference and he is nowhere near as bad.
The only problem is that when the other two get treats and stuff Perro gets a few Hills i/d bics :roll: but he doesn't seem to mind. :p
My mother is under strict instructions NOT to give him anything but his i/d.

There is still the question as to why he has a rumbly tummy, it could be a small intestine problem such as an infection or thicking of the intestine wall.
The next thing is a poo sample, so tomorrow evening after his tea, I will be stalking him, waiting for him to poo and pouncing on the results with a little spoon. :?
Maybe I should also take a photo? 8O

It's possible he is allergic to something in the commercial dog food even though I have been using hypoalergenic food and it looks as though he may be on i/d for some time if not permanently.

:lol:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Glad the bloods came back ok :) ...good luck with the poo catching :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Well that is good at least Bob, although it doesn;t explain what started this off in the first place...

Not sure how much your vets are charging for the i/d or whether you can get a contribution from the insurance co - but if not, then quite often you can save a lot by buying online....

I can't buy online as my insurance co won;t let me (this is on the basis that they are meant to contribute - but that is currently a whole other battle :evil: :evil: :evil: ) but I can buy Neos food online for £43 whereas the vets charge £59 - NOW thats a saving when you get through a bag eveyr 3 weeks!!!!

Keep us up to date with how the investigations are progressing (NOTE: NOT photos of the investigations being carried out....!)

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Sounds like good news so far! Have fun poo catching - photos unnecessary! Hope that the source of rumbly tumbly can be discovered (could it just be a hint he's getting hungry?! :lol: :lol: :roll: )

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Luna-tic said:
Sounds like good news so far! Have fun poo catching - photos unnecessary! Hope that the source of rumbly tumbly can be discovered (could it just be a hint he's getting hungry?! :lol: :lol: :roll: )
Poo caught and delivered. 8)

The rumbly tummy is usually followed by a long squeeky fart. :roll: And it's not funny when he is laid at the top of the bed. :(

Eve said:
Not sure how much your vets are charging for the i/d or whether you can get a contribution from the insurance co ....
I don't know until the bill comes in. I've just collected a 14kg bag, it goes on the farm account.
I'll see what the insurers say when I put the claim in after the poo results come back.

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
When my lot were all fed on same food, one of them had same problem, she could fart for England and get a gold medal for it. She had all tests going and nothing was found. I changed her food a few times and found one that didn't make her fart. Its nothing fancy 23 % protein £24.00 15kg, she gets the odd blob of live yoghurt if i'm feeling generous.
Sherry

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More good news. :D
All Perro's poo tests came back negative.
So all his organs are working correctly (blood tests) and he has no nasty bacteria - salmonella, campylobacter, etc (poo tests).

He is still a bit 'windy' but not as bad as he was and his belly doesn't bloat anymore.

His intestines are still the main suspect though and it's probably an intolerance, not an allergy, that may be the problem.

The next stage is for him to go on a combined antibiotic/anti-inflammatory for two weeks to see if that makes any difference.

All this just before our holidays :roll: I'm glad the kiddies are insured. :p

:lol:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Luna seems to have an intolerance of chicken based foods wet and dry (discovered through experimentation on my part!). Although she is fine eating freshly cooked chicken. She's been great on the Proplan Salmon just a lickle windy every now and again instead of A LOT with chickeny food.

I'm glad to hear that Perro is allowing others a chance in the wind competition now and you must be soooo relieved that everything major is working ok inside.

The rumbly tummy is usually followed by a long squeeky fart. And it's not funny when he is laid at the top of the bed.
Hmmmmmm not funny indeed. On the flip side the rumbles act as a warning, Luna just relaxes.......... 8O :lol: :oops: :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A quick update. :D

Perro has been for another check-up at the vets. He's still a bit 'windy' but not as bad as before.
He's been on a course of Metronidazole but it hasn't made much difference.

As I 've said before his blood and poo tests were fine, in fact the blood tests were excellent. 8)
The vet checked his stomach today and all felt OK, his behaviour, eating and pooing are OK, so the vet thinks all it can be is an intollerence to something, probably cereals.

As Hills i/d contains cereals, Perro is now on Royal Canin fish and tapioca so his holiday diet (we are going away up to the Trossachs for a week) will be nothing but fish and tapioca. :p

We just have to see how it goes. :p

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Hope the fish and tapioca does the trick for Perro and he stops rumbly tummy and farting altogether :D

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Here's hoping that this sorts out the windy problem and the holiday is both enjoyable and er.....quieter shall we say??

Eve Neo and Bramble

1 - 20 of 25 Posts