Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Since we got our lab puppy 6wks ago we've been blowing a gun dog whistle (one short blow) everytime we feed her and my grown up lab (6yrs). However the recall signal I've been trying to train them to is 3 peeps of the whistle. Should I actually be giving 3 peeps of the whistle at food time, or am I trying to create a general positive assoication with the sound of the whistle so it can be generalised to other commands such a sit? I don't know much about whistle training - is there any good intro websites? Although I wont be working the dogs it seems much more practical to use a whistle than my voice when they're some distance away (obviously the puppy wont be at this stage for a long time).

Thanks, Ruby

·
Registered
503 Posts
If the intention of the whistle blowing at meal times is to encourage recall, I'd go for consistency ie three blasts.

Patrick

ps It does work even for a professional selective deafness dog like my Paddy :lol: Thank goodness for a lab's love of food...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - that sounds more logical - I was just unsure whether I was conditioning all whistle sounds or just the recall sound - but I think I'll switch to 3 blasts so that it's identical to the recall sound.

I'm hoping the lab's love of food will help the puppy, Lotti, to recall well - she is definately food orientated. My older lab is not so bothered - when we're out and I try training with food he'll frequently refuse to even take the treat despite having performed the action. I've even tried cheese - his most favourite food in the world - but it appears the world is more interesting than even cheese, which makes life interesting when it comes to training :) But I perservere - and just maybe the whistle will help......

G

·
Yep that's what I do.....3 pips = something NICE.....Whether that is dinner or a treat is up to you but to the pup it's the association between the two that counts. :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jules - thank you - we'll change to that. Ruby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts