Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Paddy, our very handsome, 7 week old yellow lab has arrived! :D
He's a very lively boy and chewing everything in sight, including grabbing socks, jumpers, buttons etc. We've pulled him away and firmly told him NO and given him a toy as an alternative. We're very surprised :eek: that he is so chewy at such a young age, we were expecting it a little later! Is this correct? Any advice?

Also we've decided to use a crate, and starting using it for very short periods yesterday, I think it is too large for him but it was suggested that we could put his plastic bed at one end and his puppy pad at the other whilst he's being house trained. Last night, we put him in his crate ( with toys, blanket etc) and left for bed, he hated being left alone and cried and howled for 3 hrs before he finally fell asleep. We felt very mean but everything we've read said you have to be hard and perservere with the first few days.

He obviously also hates being left alone at all and crys and howls if we leave the room, any ideas on this?

Although we've read many books, we'd be grateful for your advice too!

Thanks

G

·
Hi

A really really old fashioned method for the night time is to pop a hot water bottle under his blanket and a ticking clock to remind him of the warmth of his litter mates would have given him and the sound of the heart beats of the other pups that he would have been listening to as he snoozed.
Worth a shot if nothing else is settling him down at nightime.

Michaela

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi and welcome to Paddy :)
Having a new puppy means puppy proofing the house, in the same way as when a baby starts to become mobile. If anything is left lying around - it's fair game. Obviously from a safety aspect it's important not to let him get hold of these things.
It is perfectly normal puppy behaviour and patience and consistency is the key. :)
In addition to Michaela's advice, throw a blanket over the crate, and feed all his meals in there so he comes to see it as his 'den'.
Some people take the crate into the bedroom with them, and once pup is settled, gradually move it little by little, till it is where you want him to sleep. Personally, I usually spend the first few nights on the sofabed downstairs.
It's still early days but learning to be left, is an important and essential part of life for a dog - he needs to be taught how to cope on his own (this is not natural for a canine) - and like everything else, needs to be taught. You could try putting up a stairgate, so he can see you but not come into the room. Leave him for only a short time to start, and slowly build up the time left.
HTH :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi

Max was the same when we got him re the howling.... not the chewing tho. We also had a crate for him and did the same by putting the bed at one end and a puppy pad at the other end. We bought max a special heat pad which did help, but to be honest, with Max it was a case of just giving him time and being patient... the first week was really awful but by the end of it he had stopped howling completely. We used to try a 'control crying method' by gradually increasing the time we would let him howl before we went down to him and it seemed to work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very bad night with Paddy!

Hi, thanks for the replies,

last night ( his 2nd with us) was worse than the first night!! We gave him, as advised, the clock, hot water bottle but sadly didn't make much difference to him.

He howled and cried :cry: for 3 - 4hrs hrs non stop, so decided to follow, lablover's advice and slept on one of the childrens fold out chairs, right next to his crate, I kept gently talking him until he stopped, which was very quickly and off to sleep he went ( i didn't, bed was just too small, feel horrid today! :( )

Today, he's sleeping all morning!! Feel like I've stepped back in time to when my 3 children were babies! I know it will get easier and we need to be patient , it's just a bit grotty at the time.

Used to do controlled crying technique with my children.

We have thought about getting another crate for upstairs but to be honest, that's our cat's territory and she's upset enough.

Shall we expect about a week before he settles properly, or longer?

Thinking of spending full night downstairs with him tonight, but will that make him even more dependant on me, as don't want to do this for more than a few days?

Thanks very much!

G

·
New puppy

We got Murphy only a short time ago, he was the same on his first nights really distressed as they are used to being in a pack. It got soo bad the neighbours complained so had to put his bed next too ours and he went to sleep through the night and has never whined, we let him out for toilets and now he is dry as well. I know thats giving in but he hated the crate and still does he has his own bed next to ours which he sleeps in regardless whether we are in the bedroom or not. Murphy is happy on his own the majority of the time. Good luck with your puppy the soon grow, once vaccinated get him to classes this really helped settle our puppy down.

Penny

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, :p

I can sympathise with you, I had the same problem with Buddy I spent the first few nights on the sofa down stairs, reasuring him when he woke up whining or howling. I did also increase the amount of time I let him howl before I went to see him. It took 3 nights before I went back upstairs and listened out for him, he did have a couple of whines but I did find a quick "good boy" from the top of the stairs would be enough for him to settle again. I have to say I did only praise him the quiet time in between the howling.....even if it was a brief few seconds, this seemed to work! I do also think they benefit from routine, every night I would say the same thing and encourage Buddy into his pen and say "bed" and give him a toy(one he can't damage himself unsupervised), turn off all the lights and say "goodnight". Buddy is now 7mths old and he knows when its time for bed, he no longer has a pen but sleeps in the lounge, as soon as I say "bed" he grabs a toy and hops in his bed.

You will get there, I remember going to work trying my hardest not to fall asleep!!! So allow a good week before you start feeling you are making progress and don't give in as like children he will know he can get his own way if he pushes you that little bit further!

Good Luck Corbin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi kfq61
So far we have no problems with Jenson he sleeps all night cuddled into our other dog which i think is out saving grace.......

We have the chewing thou :lol:

Jason.....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oops.
( i didn't, bed was just too small, feel horrid today! )
sorry, forgot to mention that bit. :oops:
First thing is to concentrate on making his crate his haven. Feed allhis meals in there, play games, hide toys/food etc in there and encourage him to use it during the day too. I usually spend around three or four nights downstairs, but it is important that you make it all very low key. Pay him no attention, and don't be right next to him etc. You will probably get a few cries the first night he's left alone, but he will by then be more used to his crate. The other alternative is to take the crate with you upstairs. Remember that he has just left mum and siblings, is somewhere new, and is being left on this own. Being canine, he is hard wired to the fact that being alone means being vulnerable.
You sound like you're doing fine.
:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
A wwwwww poor pup and you too of course! I had the same thing with Poppy (now 12mths old) we said we was going to be sooo strict :lol: and we was! well for the first two nights anyway, then enough was enough, I had young twins to consider and brought her up to bed with us, I placed her in her bed at the side of our bed and there was instant calm, after a week i placed her bed on the top of the stairs, then at the bottom of the stairs and then in the hallway and ive got to say she always sleeps in her own bed everynight and is soo well behaved! we give her lots to chew including Pigs ears from the pet shop (yak) I am home all day, so she has learned really quickly, and she has the run of the house (always has) and she really is fab! We had a Border Collie before Poppy and it took me 11 mths to get her housetrained and she chewed anything and everything in her way! but i was working part time and i think that had something to do with it. I couldnt have had two dogs more different, we often say Poppy was heaven sent, especially for us :D Good luck, all this upset will be a distant memory very soon im sure, Take Care ,Ellen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some more tips for Paddy

Hi, you could also try a low "talk" radio station. Also, if nearby, see if you can get something from the place you got Paddy with the littermates scent on it. ie towel, soft toy, etc.

As far as chewing, my two pups kept stealing shoes, I finally broke down and bought some "Bitter Apple Spray", and sprayed that on the shoes, telling them "NO". It was easier than trying to convince 6 people to keep their shoes out of the way and it worked!

I could use some advice to get them to stop chewing the firewood or any wood in fact that they encounter. Maybe I should try to Bitter Apple on that?

Best of luck with Paddy!

·
Registered
45 Posts
our little Jenson's starting to chew on anything at the moment I keep trying to replace my hand with a toy and a firm NO hope it works.

He seems to have a mad half hour of chewing then he'll be all cuddly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts