Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of Beths previous pups has just registered as A P.A.T Dog, as we live in a remote community she will be the only one here, although I am hoping there will be more to follow. Is this a well used scheme on the mainland, just wondering if anyone else has one.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
A few of my friends have their dogs registred as PAT dogs and go to an old peoples home they are made very welcome and the residents of the home seem to get alot out of their visits. I would be too embarassed to take any of my 3 by the amount of hair they would leave behind :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean about the hair, Bethy is not to bad, but Jake is terrible. Thank god I got rid of the carpets, they would all be covered by now. Im hoping that one of the pups she has just had will be a P.A.T dog too. We have a lot of care centres here and I have worked in one or two, and I know how much the elderly miss their animals. On the rare occassion a dog has been to visit they are all delighted. We also have a physcy home and I feel these people would love to be visited too.

Ours are far to boisterous, and lord knows what mischief they would get up too :lol:

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
PAT dogs are very well supported and do a wonderful job. Years ago I used to know our local area organiser and used to get sent all local applicants to evaluate their dogs. I only wish when I was in hospital years ago that I could have been visited by a dog!

A great organisation!

Regards, John

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Hello all

I think labs, once they are trained, make good P A T dogs and they are made so welcome, no matter where they go, or what their age,.... this one i'm not sure of.. :?

Does anyone know the age that these dogs can still be a P A T> dog

Was giving consideration to one of my dogs becoming one at one stage. :)

Bye for now

Colette (Brighteye)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree in my experience many inpatients benefit from a visit from our 4legged friends, it is one of the things they miss when in hospital most. It is also a matter of concern for many elderly how their pets are managing without them. It is not enough for staff just to say they will be fine. I am hoping to promote this scheme at work, as I think it is beneficial for everyone concerned.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi

My friends golden retriever is a PAT dog, and I am off with both my 2 in a few weeks to meet with the PAT people down here to discuss them becoming PAT dogs - I really hope that they get accepted as it is a very rewarding and worthwile cause.

I'll keep everyone updated on their progress!

Sarah :D

·
Administrator
20,709 Posts
I don't know if there is an age limit now Colette. There never was years ago. The youngest dog I ever accepted was a 7 month old GSD who I knew very well. The difference there was that the person's older GSD was already a PAT dog so the person already knew all the people there (It was long term old people) and knew who to keep the puppy clear off. Also she had been telling the people about the puppy and showing them photos ever since the pup was 8 weeks old. I must say though, except for those reasons I would never have accepted a dog anything like as young. You never really know what peoples reactions are going to be so the dog really does need to be bomb proof.

As an aside, when she first had the puppy she wanted to get it tattooed and asked me if I would take her. At the appointed day I had a brand new car, just 3 days old. Toni sat beside me on the front seat with her puppy on her lap. The journey was about 20 miles and about half way there the puppy decided to be sick. Straight into the gap betwen the front seats where it was almost impossible to clear it up! I was not amused!!! :evil:

Regards, John

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't know about an upper age limit, but I think that you have to have owned the dog, or at least had it in you care, for a certain amount of time. 9 months is it? It's something that I've thought about doing with my adopted guide dog puppy Lab as she loves getting out and about and she is quite used to going into all different places from her puppywalking days. I'd definitely want to see a Lab if I was in hospital :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts