Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to all xxx

I'm aware I only tend to post when I have a question or problem but have found it all helpful so far, so here we go....

Maisie is 7.5 months old now, is a beautiful, cheeky, loving girl. My only 'issue' with her is that she is still not consistently clean and dry overnight.

She is crated overnight and has always settled well to sleep, she is clean and dry through the day, haven't had an accident in months now, and she now barks to let us know if she wants out - however doesn't make a cheep overnight.

She is fed twice a day, at 7.30-8ish am, then at 4pm on Skinners F&T, toilets regularly through the day, walked twice a day, last walk at 8pmish, then out to toilet before we go to bed (which can be anything from 10-12pm). We get up at 7-7.30am. Poohs are pretty normal, she has always been on the slightly softer side.

We did the getting up through the night to toilet, progressively making it later with good success until we had got her through to 7ish. Great we thought! Took us a while (up to 6 months, but we got there).

She was clean & dry for about a week, nothing changed except she had a bout of squirts for a day then started messing over night.

I started getting back up overnight for her - at 6 with no success, then 5, then 4, then 3 - she would have been wet/dirty when I went down to her at those times and be clean/dry at 7.

I then thought s*d this and stayed in bed all night, lo and behold, when I got up to her at 7 she was clean and dry and was for the next week!

This was about a fortnight ago, and since then it's been a few clean nights with mostly wet/dry. She is full of beans, doesn't have an upset stomach, has been wormed mid Dec. As I said, no accidents throught the day, and if we go out and she is in her crate through the day she is fine then (for 3 hours approx).

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance this will pass - she can be clean/dry overnight - is there anything anyone can suggest - are we not doing something blindingly obvious?

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Do you make sure that she is toileting last thing at night, ie going out with her to check? Do you have a toilet cue word to use to encourage toileting at such times?

I know some of mine wouldn't have always gone if I hadn't gone outside with a torch and stood with them and asked them to 'toilet' (whatever cue word you use, it does need to be introduced/taught when they are going, so they understand what is required) and made sure they did. The weather has been pretty rubbish recently too and some dogs can be keen to get back inside quickly!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, we tell her to 'get busy' and watch and wait with her until she does, sometimes it's only a dribble after a 5 min sniff round all the plants but we do wait and make sure she does 'something'.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
:lol: Am loving those faces, not sure they look impressed with the xmas tinsel.

You have my sympathy regarding the overnight toilet problem, I have found if one or more of mine have a problem holding wee/poo overnight and I have given them every chance to go before bedtime, then I either reduce the last feed a little or give it a couple of hours earlier, to be honest I think some have the capacity to hang on and others just let it go [especially if it is on the soft side, meaning tum is a little upset] reducing the amount for a while does seem to get mine back on course, we have been ok for a while and not had to get up early, whereas for a while I was previously getting up at a silly hour just to avoid an accident :roll: .

I do find it does take longer to get them to empty themselves at night before bedtime with the bad weather we have had lately, they are so slow if its just a quicky round the garden compared to a proper walk in the rain when they don't seem to mind getting wet and are happy to do busies on route :roll: .

Good Luck, try experimenting with amounts and times of last feed, I am sure you will sort her out.

June

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who replied :)

We will try reducing the last feed - don't know why it didn't occur to me, we used to do it!!! Getting the amounts right is tricky - too much and she skitters it out the other end, or like this morning gulps it down and is then sick 8O

You're right too about the weather and not being keen to toilet - for us it's a slightly different issue, Maisie has no issues about being out in the bad weather. She is obsessed with chasing leaves though and if the weather is bad she is so distracted by the leaves blowing about the garden I think she forgets sometimes to properly do her business!

My suspicions that she is doing it early on through the night have kind of been confirmed - last night we went out for Hogmany, we let her out to toilet before we left at 8, my husband went back to the house at 10.30 to let her out to toilet and she was clean and dry then, but when we got home at 2.30 she had been wet. She was clean and dry this morning when he got up to her at 8 which was good.

Regular toileting through the day and especially in the evening and fingers crossed she will get the hang of it! It's not too much of an issue as I just chuck the bedding in for a wash, but we were hoping to get rid of the crate, think we'll need to hang on to it for a while yet!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Hi LOVE the pic.

Minnie has only just gone from desperate at 6:30 am to I can hold on till 8 and she is 2 now. She does not do well on larger portions they seem to go through her quicker ! so she has two bigger meals and 2 smaller portions of her daily allowance.

I used sweetcorn to work out which meal was coming through when, as she is on a kibble so it shows up well.

I found once I had worked out her "movements" then I could work a timetable out for all of us.

It does sound like your beautiful girl is struggling at the start of bed time, so could be timings of meals, could be she would benefit from her last walk being last thing. It could also be a problem with certain foods and may be worth looking at what she is eating.

Good luck with Maisie and keep us posted.

Mandy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I'd post an update. *sorry I waffle so will be long*

Things were going along pretty much as above, then about a week after New Year Maisie started needing to pee every 5 mins, and had some accidents in the house (for the 1st time in months). Her poos also became quite soft and she did look skinny - I took her to the vets along with a urine sample and it was confirmed she had a UTI.

I also felt very guilty at changing her to adult food as she had lost some weight (the Vet said they recommend puppy food to at least a year). So she was started on 7 days of antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory which cured the UTI.

The Wainwrights salmon & potato puppy food also cured the soft poos and her poos are the most formed they've ever been!

Even though the ABs had done the trick and we had no more accidents in the house and she was back to peeing 'normally'. But still - wet overnight.

I started to think about what else I could possibly do, and it struck me that it might be the crate. It is on loan from friends and it is really big - we had divided it (using the stair gate) but then the kitchen door broke and I needed to use the stair gate to stop her getting up the stairs. And it seemed to be about this time that the wetting overnight started up again.

Kitchen door fixed we used the stair gate to divide the crate again - and voila!

We are now going from bedtime at 10pm to 7.15am and have been clean and dry for nearly 2 weeks now!!

And in other good news - one of the trainers at obedience class said she is coming on in leaps and bounds and is 'almost ready' to move up to the next class. Apparently she is very calm for a choc lab!

Not sure Jake would agree after she jumped off the couch on top of him :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts