Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a very friendly 4 month old black labrador called Jess and she's doing really well with most of her training but whenever she sees another person or another dog she goes absolutely nuts. No-one at our training classes seems to be addressing this issue and its starting to get embarrasing when we're out walking as some people just don't like being harassed by our over-enthusiastic puppy! She's getting quite big and very strong and its getting hard to hold her back.

Anyone got any suggestions? Would be really grateful of some help please!

Many thanks
Bubble :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
over excited

At our training when a dog gets really excited at the other dogs it is put around the corner or behind a door so that it is shut out - they settle and then they are allowed back in. If they get overexcited again they do the same

·
Administrator
20,780 Posts
As in most training matters, try to set something up rather than depend on the luck of the right set of circumstances happening.

Dog clubs are the ideal place for training this sort of things because by and large the people there are not so likely to be upset or worried by a dog jumping up.

With your dog well out of the way, left in your car or something, ask a few people if they will, one at a time, approach you and your dog. Give them something nice to give her as a reward.

What you do then is to get your dog, and as the people approach tell her to sit. If she does, and remains sitting, then they come up to her and give her the reward. If she jumps up then they divert away and you resit her. Remember, the reward is just that. A reward, not a bribe. Dont use it to get her to sit, only as a reward for remaining in the sit. Can you see the direction we are going? It may take a little while for the penny to drop but drop it will!

Regards, John

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cant offer much in the way of help but we have something similar with Holly, nearly 14 weeks. She actually walks quite well most of the time (apart from some mad moments) but when she sees a person she desperately wants to go see them, pulls and leaps about.

Shes calm(ish) with visitors at home in that she doesnt jump up , but she is very excited but outside its a different story.

At the mo. she's only little but when she gets bigger.... 8O

Its nice to have a sociable pup but as you say not everone wants that attention, especially once they get bigger, so ill be intersted to hear what people say too...

Shelley

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Bubble,

Welcome to the forum :D

I had the same problem with ben. When another dogs or person is coming towards you try distracting your dogs attention, I used to have a treat in my hand for him to sniff at. When they had passed I let him have the food for being good and behaving. By distracting his attention he soon learnt not to be quite so full on when another dog is around. It does take time and won't happen over night but it is worth it.

Have you also tried talking to your trainer about this issue and expressing your concerns? I'm sure they would be able to help and advise you about it.

Good luck

·
Registered
515 Posts
Any further tips on this for an 8 month old who wants to be everyones friend?

Its everyone else, when myself or my girlfriend arrive home we do what we do and when ready greet him, he now rarely jumps up at all just gets his toy to show us, obviously used to us.

Its when other people come round or when we meet people on walks, he just goes barmy.

Anyone who comes to the house is strongly briefed to ignore him unless he has all feet on the floor, but this is sometimes impossible because he is so excited even with them ignoring him; jumping all over them.

How do we deal with this, on the lead, but even on the lead or if i make him sit i have to physically hold his collar and he wont stay sat, i'd need a piece of steak to keep him sat and it would become mighty expensive.

Again out on a walk if someone is passing etc, i make him sit and wait but again when they are close that goes out the window and i have to hold his collar from stopping him jumping all over them.

Any ideas what we can do, i want to teach him to sit and be calm but it seems impossible.

I'm thinking of taking him for his walk round more busy places with more people a couple of times a week so he can get used to more people, he can surely not go mad for everyone. Would this help get him used to it and not so excited?

I'm lost with what to do because we have tried all the usual avenues, i appreciate things dont happen over night but could do with a little ray of hope

·
Registered
342 Posts
We do a useful exercise at our training club.

You get about 6-8 dogs in a large circle and slowly walk them towards the centre keeping them under control. As soon as a dog starts to get too excited then that dog is turned around and walked outwards to start again. The calmer dogs quickly assemble in the middle and are quiet and relaxed whilst the more excited dogs soon realise that to get to the centre they need to stop the excited behaviour. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes for all the dogs to be sat in the centre nice and calm. They are kept there for a further 2 mins (if they get excited again they are take out of the group and start the process again) its absolutely great for getting them used to being calm and relaxed around strange dogs.

However this is obviously something which requires some planning and it's really difficult to reproduce it unless you are in a training environment. We found that although Monty is still excited towards other dogs whilst out on a walk he is much better than he was and we're pretty sure the training helped a fair bit.

He will still run over to greet other dogs but he now lies down about 15 yards away from the dog and then either waits for it to greet him or just walks over nicely to say hello.

In the past 2 months he has also started responding to his recall whilst on his way over to another dog. We are so proud of him for this. I thought it would never happen.

(ps before i get told off unless its a dog we have met before or unless its obviously a friendly dog environment with several dogs all playing he is popped on his lead an not given the chance to run off without permission).

·
Premium Member
17,438 Posts
I have a toy on my keyring and when Luna pup got excited I gave her this to hold, didn't stop the excitement but stopped her mouthing and jumping up, she waggledances around instead with 4paws on the ground. As a 4year old she still runs to me or the toybox for a toy when excited, its quite sweet!

Tucker is still a work in progress but I am training him to hold a toy too...

Both of mine love agility comps because they have lots of human mates who adore the excited greetings! At obedience training classes both show they are capable of JohnW's sit to greet technique too. They are learning to read the body language of their human greeter and tailor their response to the person and environment!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts