Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I've been think of an outdoor dog kennel/run for my Choco Boy.

I would be looking to put him in this from April - September (maybe October) and only during the day. he will be 11 months in April.

The set up would be below for April - September

Between 8am - 12noon Kennel
Then his walk
Back to my father in laws
Between 3 - 4:30pm Kennel

So who does and who doesn't recommend an outdoor kennel? Also what ones are best I heard labs like to chew through the wooden ones!!!!

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Two of mine go in the Kennel whenever we are out at work and overnight, they love laying outside watching whats going on, the kennel is also insulated and they stay out through the winter aswell with the heat lamp on when its really cold.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I'd have an outside kennel in a heartbeat if I didn't have neighbours either side! I'm even with neighbours giving it some serious thought. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I Have dogs in kennels and also two retired dogs in the house I think there are good and bad points for both. I personally dont put dogs in kennels below a year because I like them to learn house behaviour but I know people that do earlier and are fine. The !st thing that I would be asking myself is what are my reasons It seams to me that you would have a busy routine for him I understand that you say only during the day but it looks to me like he would be chopping and changing location apart from the morning hours will he get time to settle. I know some people use kennels to enhance a working relationship eg time spent together is quality rather than quantity Other things to consider are security,power (electrics) drainage (ease of cleaning) Space I wouldnt dream of saying what you should/ shouldnt do just a few things to consider :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,

What kind of kennel do you have and how did you insulate it........what i mean is does it not have open parts do you have any photos

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Lola has an outside kennel. She loves being outside laying in the sun and watching the world go by. When inside, though she loves her cuddles, she's never quite as happy. She has wood but has never been much a chewer.

I always feel like I'm making a confession when I say that she's mostly outside. I know the John Lewis Christmas advert showed a very inadequate arrangement but the uproar included lots of comments about how dogs shouldn't be kept outside. I think if people spent some time watching a dog that is kept outside then I think they might be more open to the idea.

I am at home most of the day though so Lola can come in when it suits her.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
We converted the Garden shed and used insulating panels covered with plyboard, yes there is an opening for them to go in and out of the kennel and in the winter this is covered by PVC strips like the ones you see in the supermarket fridges, there is also a window in the main door and a window in the side so in the summer plenty air gets through.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I would use celotex insulation in the walls but also think about how cold the floor is. Lolas bed sits on some celotex so it stays a bit warmer even though she isn't out during the night at all.

*celotex is a trade name other insulation is available* :lol: :roll:

oh and when I say 'I' it really means that I would get my other half to do all the work and then take credit for it

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey all great replies,

In reply to crazydoglady...........His routine is fairly busy but its really only 3 hours when he is interrupted but in that 3 hrs he will be walked by my father in law then back to his, usually has a sleep for an hour then by that times a bit of a play and back home, then he can settle again for a couple of hours till I am home, he is ok with this set up just now being in the house instead of a kennel. I agree with the age thing and he would be 11 months so good time to start maybe a couple of days a week.

As for security I live in a very quite part and although I have neighbours either side they both work, but my father in law is only along the road, there is a side gate but this can be locked and of course the kennel would be locked down.

I suppose if someone wanted to get in they could get into the garden or house if they put there minds too it, there I prob would put in a CCTV linked to a PC so we can keep an eye on him, there is electricity in the garage that could be extended out, and cleaning would not be a problem.

|Hope this gives some better info for my requirements

Cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a large kennel area with sperate sleeping compartments that lead on to a large run the indoor floor is concreat at the moment but I will be having this tiled the walls are double thick and insulated with really thick wall insulation the walls are wood and painted with a safe waterproofer I have to say the wood is not ideal a lesson learnt. Each kennel has its own outdoor power point high up out of doggie reach great for heat lamps etc or even a radio that can play softly if needed I have drainage for each kennel and good lighting I have ulta violet lights to exterminate any rogue insects each compatment has a water trough that hooks up so doesnt get knocked over the outdoor area is concrete and huge but i am having this seperated so each dog has its own area. Another thing to think about is are you planning ne more dogs if so make the kennel big enough to accomodate. I also have security cameras but mine sleep outside at night and seem to enjoy being out there hope this helps

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Garden Shed is a good idea however the opening to the garden would not suit my boy as he would prob eat everything in the garden!!!!!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can anyone send some photos of there kennels, especially crazydog lady as your one sounds like what I am after.

Also what is the alternative too wood?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
P.S Also what size is best for a single adult lab?

I am thinking about getting a weimaraner but only once my Boy is about 4 or 5 years old and if we have the time and sapce.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In hindsite a half brick/breaze block then wood on the top half would be better what i would recomend what you do is check out the kennel websits look at the catalogues visit some rescue places ask friends to look at theirs and take the best from each plan really well think about summer as well as winter not able to send pics at the moment sorry :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks crazylady dog......if you can send a photo that would be great at some point.

I love weimaraners, we really wanted to get one but realise they are hard work, so thought it would be best maybe to get one once we have a dog already to help out with him......well thats the plan anyway LOL

Would 10ft x 6ft be big enough for an adult lab?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shadybug you also sound like you have a great set up, can you send me a photo of it at all so I can maybe steal a few ideas LOL

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Not sure if this is what you want, as it sounds like you need a run as well. This is the kennel I used to have for my old girl Tess (black in pics)

This one shows the sort of size (also Tessy telling young Coco that it's *her* kennel and *her* rope toy LOL)

This one shows her right inside, with comfy duvets for warmth

Another one of her inside

Tess wasn't destructive so it didn't matter that it was just open to the garden. If you leave enough chew things for your boy hopefully he won't choose to eat the actual kennel!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts