Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Sorry for this being a little gross guys!

Just looking for a little bit of advice. Our male pup is 5 months old and is developing in to a fantastic dog. He sleeps for 8 hours every night, is house trained and even comes with us to work already in the offices and behaves brilliantly.

Off the lead his recall is getting very good but we have only one issue and we are at our wits end with it

He is obsessed with sniffing out other dogs poop and having it, he is not bothered about his own but if he is off the lead and not with other dogs for a distraction he will just keep finding poop time after time

We have tried all the usual bits of trying to get him to leave it and coaxing him with rewards, even walking him on his lead and giving him a sharp no when he goes for it. As soon as his head is down sniffing and he is off the lead, there is nothing we can do, he wouldn't even come for a mixed grill until he had the poop

Walking him on the lead is still very difficult because he is just looking for it constantly and is so quick

It is so frustrating as we want him off the lead and stretching his legs, getting the exercise, I don't like him just being on the lead all the time

Do you guys have any ideas?? Would appreciate any help!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I haven't experienced this first hand but I do know a couple of people we walk with have.
They used soft muzzles for a little while and rewarded when the dog left the poop when told too.
It may help I know it did for these people as the dogs are back off the lead and running free.

Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I am very reluctant to use a muzzle, he is a very friendly dog, has many friends in the woods and is great with kids, I just know as soon as he wears a muzzle, no one will want to go near him and all he wants to do is play

Is there any other options?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Both of these dogs are really friendly labs and it lasted about 2 weeks and they were just the same after wearing a muzzle.

Not sure if any others have hints and tips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, so they improved after wearing the muzzle? it was only a temp thing to get them over the habbit?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Unido said:
Hi, so they improved after wearing the muzzle? it was only a temp thing to get them over the habbit?

Yes temp only, they got the tip from their vet. Never had any problems since.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I wish I could offer you another option as I have three who eat other dogs poo.
I have tried everything to stop the habit but mine are older and the habit is well ingrained, the best thing I have found is distraction playing ball or encouraging play with other dogs, it does reduce the scoffing but not stop it.
I think I would try Montymoos suggestion if he has seen proof of it working, your Perry is still a youngster and they do seem to have a habit of eating horses poo and all sorts when they are pups so it is worth keeping at them with distractions or the muzzle before it is truly ingrained.

Good Luck I hope you can manage to sort the little monkey out, sadly mine came to me with the problem well established :(

June

·
Registered
674 Posts
We have the same problem with Chewy. Except she likes to chow down on her own as well. It's so annoying and we have tried everything we can think of to stop her doing it - to no avail. She also eats mud and drinks from dirty puddles. Recently she has had tummy problems and I am convinced that she has picked something up from her disgusting habits.

We are now concidering trying her with a soft muzzle although like you I am very reluctant I simply don't know what else to try!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses everyone. The more I read and hear, I think we may have to go down the muzzle route to just try him for a couple of weeks, we have virtually tried everything, I just wanted to see if others had success with other techniques

·
Registered
370 Posts
I also know a lovely choccy lab who searches out poo. She's also muzzled for this reason, but appears happy enough pottering off lead around with it on.

Stormdust - Poppy used to eat her own poo (only when it was very, very fresh though 8O) and I know different dogs do it for different reasons and some grow out of it, but I found a change of diet sorted it straight away. I know Chewy is having tummy troubles, so now might not be the right time to mess with it, but just thought I'd mention what worked for me. (Also thought I'd better add - it was changing to a raw diet that fixed it for me, but I realise that doesn't suit everyone, so there maybe another food which does the trick?)

·
Premium Member
11,582 Posts
We had this with Tara.Went down the route of a muzzle,we both felt guilty of her wearing one.I have to say she has stopped eating other dogs poo,as she has got older.She is still partial to Human poo and wood ,when we walk in the Forest.I don't really know what the answer is.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hi. Shelby used to do that as well, including her own... :roll:
Someone advised me adding pineapple (with a bit of juice) to her dry food + use tripe as snacks & of course train "drop it" command. At first she stopped eating her own poos & then any others as well. I was thinking about muzzle but I don't like dogs in them so decided to try other ways first. It worked for us so might work for you :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hmm I have not heard about the pineapple thing, we tried pumpkin as we heard that would make her poo smell bad to her, but if anything she just thought it added more flavour! Bloody dog!!

Loopy_Lou - we did try changing her food once to no avail, once we get to the bottom of her bottom issues we may have another look at this.

Apologies to the OP for somewhat hyjacking the thread!

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the farm when a dog wouldn't leave the chickens alone. The farmer would tie the chicken the dog just killed to the dogs collar. After a few days with the chicken hanging from its neck the dog left all other chickens alone.
When a dog doesn't stop pooping inside the house, some have smeared the dogs face in its pooh. The dog stops pooping inside the house.
With that said, have you considered a shock collar? In the right hands this collar has its place as one of many tools with training a dog. As with the muzzle this would be only temporary for a week or two at the lowest setting, just to get the pups attention. The advantage is people won't think your dog is aggressive. The other option is you'll be telling everyone the muzzle is only because your dog likes pooh.
FYI my Maximus eats dogs, deer, rabbit pooh. I just try and stop him before he swallows.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He doesn't touch his own poop, I sort of wish he did so I could of gone down the pineapple and other routes to put him off poop completely. Walking through the woods and trying to spike all the poop isn't really an option!

I had looked at the shock collars and citronella collars but again they just seem cruel

I am going back to the breeder who I got him from, he breeds and trains dog for working and I am hoping he will be able to help seeing as all his labs don't put a paw out of line!

I will report back. In the meantime anyone else with any past experiences of things being successful please let me know!

It is really upsetting my wife, just because he keeps making himself sick, I am hoping we can eventually sort this *positive thinking*

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Luckily I've never had this problem but something springs to my mind.
We know we can only teach dogs situationally. What about leaving your dog in the car or with your wife. Try an area that you are not going to fail on, maybe along a track that you can be sure you've not missed any poops. Sprinkle the piles with lots of cayenne pepper. Then go back and collect your dog. Let him off and when he runs for the poops reinforce with a sharp no! When the nose kicks in right before he digests it the smell hopefully will deter him and get him sneezing. That with your command may make a memory link. If he eats it anyway it will taste so unpleasant it will put him off next time. Just an idea, it will be a pain to set it up but it must be worth a try.

Amanda, Roxy and Buster

·
Super Moderator
17,438 Posts
We used to walk lots where horse were walked too and boy did Luna love to indulge! I got so cross one day and realised trying to stop her munching on it was getting me terribly frustrated because I couldn't prevent her being rewarded by that 'quick grab' she made as I hauled her away!!

Thankfully, one frustrated day I decided to just stop! I had a cheap pair of gloves on (poop bag would've been more suited if I'd been thinking more!) so grabbed a portion of the poop myself. I then walked on to a clear space and did OFF training with the hand of poop and a pocketful of treats.

This consisted of holding the poop in my fist, saying OFF as soon as she looked/moved away from it in anyway and giving her lots of praise and treats from the other hand straight away. 4 times it took until she just sat there determinedly looking away from the poop and waiting for treats. She wouldn't even look at it so left the training there! Gloves went in a poop bag and in the bin. At least once a day for a while I would actively seek out horse poop and stand right next to it, and give a stern OFF followed by lots of treats. I would also distract and call her to heel and train different tricks around horse poop so that she learnt to focus around it.

I would suggest forgetting an off lead walk - do a training walk instead. Get some super high value treats in your pocket, hot dogs or squeezy Primula cheese in this house. The go have fun walking to heel, trick training, just walking and practising sits and downs etc.... do some OFF training with the treats, maybe do some retrieving, keep the attention on you and mentally exhaust. Towards the end whilst dog is on lead have their attention on you completely... head towards and past a poop that would usually be snaffled... be prepared with the treats - if there is any interest say OFF and give lots of reward as soon as there is any move/look away from it.

Telling people that my dog is wearing a muzzle because they like eating poop wouldn't be anything I'd be afraid to do but then again I tend to do what my dogs need me to do regardless of how that can make me appear to other people. ;-)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tumack said:
Luckily I've never had this problem but something springs to my mind.
We know we can only teach dogs situationally. What about leaving your dog in the car or with your wife. Try an area that you are not going to fail on, maybe along a track that you can be sure you've not missed any poops. Sprinkle the piles with lots of cayenne pepper. Then go back and collect your dog. Let him off and when he runs for the poops reinforce with a sharp no! When the nose kicks in right before he digests it the smell hopefully will deter him and get him sneezing. That with your command may make a memory link. If he eats it anyway it will taste so unpleasant it will put him off next time. Just an idea, it will be a pain to set it up but it must be worth a try.

Amanda, Roxy and Buster
Thank you, I am going to give this a go for sure and will report back!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts