Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christmas was going great (despite plans being shot down by C-19 as many others) then in the evening the most upsetting of things......
Judy went to get up for nighttime wee but couldn't get her back legs moving.
馃槩
It was heartbreaking but eventually she built up a bit of power.
Been keeping it easy these last couple of days with just short 10 - 15 min walk yesterday and a 35 - 40 min walk on lead only today.

At 13 years and 2 months she still sprightly despite constantly having issues with her ears now, retching now and then plus the obvious muscle loss.
The most special of dog that she is we will look after her every need but I still dread "that day"
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Any tips greatly received.

Love her so, so much.... she's the leader of our pack:-
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Companion dog

Attachments

Administrator
You can only go from day to day. At that age Amy was doing 15 to 20 minute walks, mainly on lead, but sometimes going by car to the scene of her past glories at the shoot, for a short wander in the fields or wood. I would take a picnic so she could have a short walk in the morning, then rest while I did some training with Chloe, followed by lunch then another (Very) short walk in the afternoon. (I was lucky in that I could drive across the fields and park in the paddock in the wood.) I always thought it better to do too little and leave her wanting more, rather than too much and leave her aching. As time passed the walks got even shorter, just 10 houses to the corner shop which had a seat outside on some grass where we could sit a while where passers by could stop for a chat and make a fuss of her. Sadly she passed away just 2 weeks short of 15 years old.

Car Dog Dog breed Vehicle Plant

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember you recounting that before John and, as usual, such sage advice. Thanks.
I know there鈥檚 no magic potion or a one size fits all approach, as you say we can only see how we go day to day.
She鈥檚 the most stoic of dogs and still as intelligent as ever despite a slight bit of dementia setting in. I鈥檓 trying to drive to all our favourite walks and avoid pavement walking to parks. Also looking for soft flat ground.
Yesterday she was only allowed 18 minutes and then it was back up the ramp for a boot rest whilst the young uns carried on down the lane. I sat in there with her and had a couple of lively conversations with other passing walkers.

Your Amy stayed a stunner right the way through and a great age as well鈥︹t鈥檚 just never long enough

Thanks again for your reply

Premium Member
Carys has a touch of dementia setting in. Her legs aren鈥檛 what they were, we take each day at a time. She 14 and a half.

Reactions: DJGoody

Premium Member
Oh bless her, I'm so blessed with Tau, she's capable of doing 2 miles a day, although these last few days it's been so horrible we've all been hunkered in by the log burner. I'm just taking it as we go along, which is all we can do as John says. Tau's pretty much deaf now but still hears the whistle, and knows when I've got treats in my pocket, so she must be at least psychic, lol. One thing I do struggle with is keeping her claws trimmed, she hates having them clipped and I hate doing them as I don't like upsetting my old girl, but I persevere, as it makes walking easier for her. I've a growing number of oldies, Rhuna will be 11 this next year, and Zasa will be 10, and my rescue foxhound will be about 9.

One thing I'm trying to get for Tau is Librella, we've tried Galliprant and after a few months I've seen very little difference, so am going to ask the vet if he'll try to get hold of Librella for her, as I've heard a lot of good things about the results. It might be worth seeing if your vet can get hold of some for Judy?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried to get hold of Librella months ago after our hydrotherapist recommended it.
The story goes a combination of BREXIT (roll my eyes) and a lack of glass phials due to COVID means it, along with other vet drugs, are in short supply. Our vet is only allowing previous patients to have repeat treatments at the moment which is a shame.
We鈥檒l keep trying on that.
Today J was out for a reasonably long time - had a meet up which involved dry little walking but a lot of standing around. She gave it great guns on meeting old friends and new dogs alike. After 50 mins or so I took her back to the car. Notable that she had a little struggle this evening so I鈥檓 keeping a strict eye on thaf

thanks to all for replies鈥.and a happy new year to all

Premium Member
Tried to get hold of Librella months ago after our hydrotherapist recommended it.
The story goes a combination of BREXIT (roll my eyes) and a lack of glass phials due to COVID means it, along with other vet drugs, are in short supply. Our vet is only allowing previous patients to have repeat treatments at the moment which is a shame.
We鈥檒l keep trying on that.
Today J was out for a reasonably long time - had a meet up which involved dry little walking but a lot of standing around. She gave it great guns on meeting old friends and new dogs alike. After 50 mins or so I took her back to the car. Notable that she had a little struggle this evening so I鈥檓 keeping a strict eye on thaf

thanks to all for replies鈥.and a happy new year to all
One of my puppy owners had it prescribed for one of her dogs as a new treatment recently, so keep pestering, it is available out there, if not from your vet then shop around xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts