Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you are probably very aware of this but with this being my first experience of puppy hood, it's became very clear and I really didn't know how badly 'trained' other people actually were and how much it affects your training. Even if they do or don't have dog experience.

I probably don't need to give any examples as you know exactly what I'm talking about. May it be them continuously rewarding and reinforcing the dog when they are jumping and nipping etc. And to be very honest I don't actually know how to approach and handle these situations at all.

I've very politely tried to hint but with no results as it's always the old common response 'Oh I don't mind' .. 'Oh he's only a puppy'... 'Oh he'll grow out of it'... 'Oh mine still go on like that and he's 7 blah'. --- Of course there is the odd exception group that know exactly what to do may it be pay no attention when jumping / highly aroused or pay attention but continue walking etc etc. But somehow that certainly for me seems to be very rare to find.

We have went to the supermarkets on a number of occasions; where me and Sonny stay outside (obviously) and my only aim is to try build his attention onto me and try to increase calmness.

Parking ourselves somewhere that's low to medium traffic, getting him to sit or down and stay, and try to relax a little.

We've had the success of array of people walking past us some minding their on business and others looking at him but continue walking - during which he'll wag his tail but remain down. BUT then all it takes is 1 person to pass us and take both me and him by surprise and before I know it under a batter of an eyelid; Sonny is all over him. I feel like 'FACEPALM'. From there it's back to starters.

Infact over 4 months I've only had 1 experience from 1 person who was an elderly lady whom asked if she could pat him.

However... I had an idea which I'm wondering if you think it'll help. Well I noticed you can buy reflective hi-viz dog jackets as such some where you can even have a personalised logo / text. Such as 'In Training, Please Ignore' or In training, talk to the boss' Etc ... I thought perhaps it would help loosen the attention and stop people stopping only with the association that assistance dogs wear HI-VIZ. Only an idea.

?

·
0 Posts
Welcome to my world :wink: .

I've never yet managed to stop my Pood from jumping up at folks, as so many still insist on giving her treats while she has her muddy paws up their legs. To be honest, I don't sweat it anymore, although maybe I would if she were bigger, but then maybe less people would insist on giving her treats if she nearly knocked them over. If she happens to go up the wrong legs, I just apologise, or lie and tell them she's not mine :wink: :lol: .

Well I noticed you can buy reflective hi-viz dog jackets as such some where you can even have a personalised logo / text. Such as 'In Training, Please Ignore' or In training, talk to the boss' Etc ... I thought perhaps it would help loosen the attention and stop people stopping only with the association that assistance dogs wear HI-VIZ.

Well having puppy walked for Guide Dogs, I can tell you most people take no notice of the jacket. And now walking with Una while she is in harness and working, people STILL stroke her as she goes past. They know they shouldn't, but they also know her Mum can't see, so do it anyway.

You just can't train Joe Public. :?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I can see where you are coming from Loyal blue, I have felt the same but isn't that exactly why you are sitting outside of the supermarket.

Unfortunately you can't train against distractions if your dog isn't getting any and it sounds like you are getting plenty of practice. The more stimulus that your puppy gets the less he will react in time. Maybe sit a little further away from the main walk way until you have him focusing on you better and gradually move inward. At the very least you will have more time to ask if the passers by would mind ignoring him. When Roxy was younger and even now if she looks like she will break a stay when another dog walks by I put my hand in my pocket. She knows her tennis ball is in there so switches back on to me immediately. Is there something your puppy is really keen on? It is frustrating at this stage but it does pass with consistency. I would get really frustrated with visitors. Roxy would never jump on us and behaved calmly but if a stranger came in she was really excitable. My husband would get frustrated with me and shout can't you train your dog. The annoying thing was she wouldn't do it to us. I started putting her on her mat when they first arrived. This only avoided the problem. In the end I just said I'm sorry she is going to do xy and z to visitors before they got in the front door and please react like this. I was quite embarrassed but it was the only way to nip it in the bud.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
I agree with everything you say.

It's especially an issue when she's muddy (ie always!)

These days I go by the clothes people are wearing. If they are wearing 'posh' or light coloured clothes I put Tatze on the lead to walk past. If they are 'doggy folk' I leave it to them. If they encourage her and she jumps up then ok. She never goes up to people who don't talk to her - but it's usually the ones in white coats who DO!

So here are my home made 'rules' for our walks.

Person + dog/s off lead = Tatze off lead and they play or sniff. Tatze is very good at reading dog language and walks away from the growlers.

Person + dog/s on lead = Tatze on lead or heeling 'till we pass.

Person in nice or light coloured clothes = Tatze on lead 'till we pass.

Person in 'normal' clothes = Tatze off lead.

Her 'no jumping up' training in the house is as serious as ever and she's getting really good, so that'll do me :)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Minnie is "in training" wears all the gear. I STILL get it, including constant questions and people stopping us when we are obviously working while walking.

You have my complete understanding, but you won't cure it. Sorry.

Mandy

·
Registered
124 Posts
A couple of months ago, I was able to convince everybody that they should ignore Dante. He was around 6 months old and he would jump on everybody, but after a week or so he started to get it and he would just sit in front of you till you would notice him.

One day, I was walking him and people were passing by and he wasn't paying attention to them but some lady crouched and started to say in a very excited voice "what a beautiful dog, come here, come here". That meant we were back to square one, but my friends started saying that my dog is a jumper and nobody can cure that so they will pet him whenever they'll see him.

The worst case is an old lady who has two dogs. We usually cross paths around 10pm and I'm trying to hurry home and she insists that Dante should play with her dogs. Dante starts pulling like crazy because he sees other dogs and they growl back. I'm pulling Dante away, she's screaming "but why don't you let him play?", her dogs growl and Dante's barking.

So, if you find a solution to your problem, let us know :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts