Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 10 year old lab has severe osteoarthritis in L1-L2 of his spine plus end stage arthritis in his right elbow. Laser treatment has been suggested, but I am not sure that it would work on my Lab as his arthritis is advanced. I have read many stories about it being a miracle cure but maybe in less severe cases?

My Orthopaedic Consultant has suggested Librela, an injection once a month. As far as I know it is fairly new and I wondered if anyone has tried this with their dog? He is currently taking Onsior, Amantadine, Tralieve, Glucosamine, Green lipped Muscle. He is still a happy chappy :) He can still go on walks, be it a short one. I just want the best for my beloved furry baby.

·
Administrator
21,153 Posts
Cant really help you with either the laser or drug.

But Librela is interesting!! I had a look to see what exactly it was. As I understand it Librela is the trade name of Bedinvetmab. The blurb says:- "Bedinvetmab is a caninised monoclonal antibody expressed through recombinant techniques in Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells." Uses:- "Indicated for the alleviation of pain associated with osteoarthritis in dogs."

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
A friend has her dog on Librela and has messaged me saying it has done wonders for her dog. So it is defo something to look into.

My boy Tucker has laser regularly as part of his physiotherapy sessions. It is defo something that helps a lot. I would suggest finding a physio that uses it amongst their tools. Without his physio sessions every 2 weeks there is no way my arthritic almost 11 year old boy would be as active. Tuck's vet physio is IRVAP registered so could try checking their website for one near you. If Melton Mowbray is near you then Valiant Vet Physio I can't recommend highly enough.

Reactions: JohnW
1 - 4 of 4 Posts