Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Bonnie, my rescue lab, has been settling in well so far, but this afternoon we have had a few hours that haven't gone so well, and I just wanted to ask some opinions, advice, recommendations, anything you can offer :D

I feel like when we first brought Bailey home and I just seemed to have no idea, all common sense leaves & I question whether I'm doing things wrong or right :oops:

It was when my mum & dad arrived, or more specifically, my dad

He didn't really speak to her when he came in the house, and then started to play with my son, in a kind of play fighting way, and Bonnie barked her head off at him......she never went for him at all but wouldn't let up on the barking at my dad until he stopped playing with my son and went into another room

5 minutes later she walks into the living room and is nuzzling my dad from a stroke, which he did and then she lay at his feet

After dinner my dad went out to his car to get some weeding stuff to do our driveway (aren't dads great :D ) and brought his stuff through the front door, through the house and then out the back door.....Bonnie then started to bark like mad at the back door.....a kind of 'there's someone there' bark

When we went into the living room, and shut the babygate so the dogs were in the hall (it was a bit busy in the living room with 6 of us), Bonnie barked at us then too

She then barked up the stairs when my mum went up to see the kids in the bath

Now, since my mum and dad have left she has lay down in the hall and gone to sleep......she's not bothered by hearing the kids upstairs or that me and OH are in the living room with the gate closed

Do you think that maybe she's realised who her little family unit are and was a bit surprised by this strange man coming and attacking my son??
Or do you think that it is WAY too soon for that??
My mum has met her a few times at the dog home but it was the first time my dad met her....'nearly had my leg off' he exaggerated :lol:

I am panicking that she will bark when we leave her alone, as the times she barked today were when she was closed behind a gate or door (when my dad went out).....the exception being when she was barking at my dad playing with my son

I did leave her alone today (she was with Bailey still) for 5 mins as I popped something down the road to my friends house.....it literally was 5 mins though, and when I came back she was still lying on her bed
I told her she was 'good girl'....should I have done that or not made a fuss??? Oooooo I can't think straight 8O

And last night, at bedtime she was in the dining room with the doors shut and didn't make a sound.....but I'm thinking maybe it was just luck

Oh my word, I just want to 'get it right' and make sure she feels safe & secure in her home......

Has anyone got any suggestions, do I sound like I'm making a hash of things??

I wanted to shut the babygate on the living room a few times a day, as there will be times when the kids want to play with train track etc and the dogs will need to be out, so thought that doing this from day 1 with Bonnie will get her used to it??

Really appreciate some advice (if you've read this far :lol: :lol: Sorry for going on a bit :oops: )

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Can't offer any advice, but it sounds like she was maybe just a wee bit unsure of everything that was going on, and having a bit of a bark was her natural reaction???

I'm sure it'll all calm down, and it sounds like you're doing everything right.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moj said:
Can't offer any advice, but it sounds like she was maybe just a wee bit unsure of everything that was going on, and having a bit of a bark was her natural reaction???

I'm sure it'll all calm down, and it sounds like you're doing everything right.
I'm expecting too much too soon aren't I :oops:

You are right, it must all seem strange, these comings and goings

So glad I have all next week with her. No work or courses, just have to do the school & nursery runs.....plently of times for walks & play

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I completely understand where you're coming from. I felt like that when Boots first came to me. Bracken was a bit funny with him, and he was easily spooked by unfamiliar noises and comings/goings at first. It's been a few weeks now, and everything has completely settled down. I just got on with business as usual, not much of a settling in period for him at all, as Jill told me it was best to start as I mean to go on, so that's what I've done.... well, trying my best anyway!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Sounds as though she is doing good to me :flower: It's all new to her and she will take a while to settle in and get to know you and you her.

It can take some weeks to see "all" of the dog, I knew my collie for a year in rescue before we adopted him, so I had a head start, but he'd been in kennels and seeing him once a week wasn't the same as living with him.

I think letting her find her feet and establishing your house "rules" at the start, so she gets to know what you want/what she can do, is a good idea, giving her a place she can go to relax in and have some peace and quiet if she needs it etc. and I'm sure all will be fine :flower:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It sounds like your doing all the right things to me.
Diesel used to bark at people who came to visit all the time.

It sounds like she is just unsure of you dad. You took you family to visit her didn't you?
She may have already built up a bond with your family and is just trying to protect them. Let your mum and dad play with her on there own (if they want to) to build up a relationship.
As for you worrying about barking when you leave id take it day by day. It wasn't until a neighbor told us about Diesels barking that we knew anything about it 8O :oops:
We used to fuss over Diesel when we got back and he'd been good.
Regarding the front room gate. Id still shut it when you need to, as long as she can still see you she should be alright.

Your doing everything right so try not to worry. I still say it took Diesel 9 months before he was properly settled.

Good luck with her. I look forward to a day at fromby and meeting her in the future :)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Don't worry too much Em, just sounds like she is still settling in and is a little unsure at times. I am sure she will be fine :wink: and don't forget with time she will follow Bailey's lead and if Bailey is chilled so will Bonnie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts