Labradors Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a Choc lab that is 9 months old called Schuey. Both myself and my wife work during the day, so he could be on his own for up to 8 or 9 hours (I usually get home at about 15:30, I start early).

I was considering getting another dog as company for Schuey, is this a good idea?

Should I get another lab or a smaller dog?

And should the other dog be a puppy so Schuey would have seniority etc??

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have a Choc lab that is 9 months old called Schuey. Both myself and my wife work during the day, so he could be on his own for up to 8 or 9 hours (I usually get home at about 15:30, I start early).
Whilst I am 100% sure that you adore your dog - is it fair on him to be left for 8/9 hours a day? Labs are such sociable dogs and love company, for a 9 month old dog, or any age dog for that matter 8/9 hours is a long time to be with out its Mum and Dad......Getting another dog will simply mean another dog being subjected to this loneliness all day and that wont solve anything.....

I apologise if I am speaking out of line, its merely my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I agree a dog should not be left as long 3 to 4 hours maximum, very occassionally a little longer. Is it not possible to have a dog walker come in and take your dog for a nice long walk while you are away. As said previously most dog's like human company and I do not think getting another dog is going to solve the problem. I am sure you love your dog, but to leave him that length of time every day is not fair.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the other posters, 8 - 9 hours is too long and I also think getting a dog walker is a good idea. I don't think you should ever get another dog ' to keep your dog company'. It should be because you personally want one. Supposing the two dogs don't get on? You are not there to sort it out. Or, they can become so attached and reliant on each other for company you won't be in the equation. Two dogs means twice the time needed for training and half the quality one-to-one time for each dog.

Rosie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
8-9 hours a day oh wow that is a awful long time for any dog to be left alone the longest i have left mine is 1hour or if i am going to be longer i arrange for my freind to go to my house and check up on my dogs just incase they have been up to mischeif wich labs tend to do..lol..

please if possible arrange for someone to pop in and check on your dog every now and then to make sure he is safe i wouldnt get another dog to keep your first company as again its another dog left alone for a long time im sorry but i agree with the other posts here

clair

·
Registered
364 Posts
While I am in total agreement that it is wrong to leave a dog alone for hours on end it has to be remembered that most of our dogs are alone for that length of time while we are sleeping and that the time that Schuey described included a number of hours that, for most of us, is sleep time

Still too long but maybe not quite as bad as it first appears

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good morning all,

where do I start? I feel so bad but what do I do?

Both myself and my wife work (office jobs), I leave the house at 06:00 every morning and get home for about 15:30, I've no choice and i can't start any earlier. My wife brings Schuey in for breakfast at about 07:30 and then leaves for work at about 08:00, after putting Schuey back out and doesn't get home until 19:00.

We have only moved to the area recently and do not really know any of the neighbours well enough to ask them to walk or check Schuey on a daily bases.

What can we do? Give him up? We couldn't, we love him so much?

How do you guys work and spend so much time with your dogs?

Cheers,

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
nigel sorry but were you say we are asleep for 8hrs our dogs are with us at this time either in our rooms or somewere in the house so if something happens were are there straight away to right the situation or if the dog is outside and barks again you can get up and see to him/her.. :wink:

**** it must be a hard situation for you i am lucky i am home all day as im a full time mother of 4 ...but someone said further up would it be possible to pop home during lunch to check everything is ok? would it be possible to take him to work with you? or your wife? or even look for a dog sitter in your area (make sure they have refrences)

i hope it all works out for you

clair

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI
We did not mean to make you feel guilty, because I know you obviously love your dog. The guilty one is the breeder who sold you the puppy.
A good breeder would have given you the third degree and would have wanted to know just how long the puppy was going to be left, and if they had been kind enough refused to sell you one of their puppies.
I am sure you will be able to work something out for this fellow. I do hope so

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi ****,
Both myself and my wife work, we both leave the house 8am but i can go home for my lunch break. This is puppy time. i eat at work so that i can spend the hour with my dogs. They are not old enough for walks yet but i make sure that we get to play games in the house. I then finish work at 5pm. I have done these hours of work since we've had the pups. They seem to be happy with this arrangement. They also seem to know that dad will be home for them soon and dont make any fuss when i leave the house.
I know that they are happy because i have video recorded them when im at work, they play with all of there toys and then go for a kipp and soon enough im back home.
Hope this helps

Matt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Matt,
you have two pups? They sound like they are good friends to you and to each other.

I work about 45Km from home and my wife is about 60km. My wife works for a whole-sale travel company and does not have facilities for child minding, never mind our Schuey.

I work for an aerospace company and it is not possible to bring family in never mind Schuey.

So, basically it is not possible to bring him with us to work, it is not possible to go home at lunch time. A dog sitter might be a solution - I will look into it asap.

Schuey sleeps outside, we live in a bungalow and his kennel and run is right outside our bedroom window so we can see and hear him at all time. He woke last night and started barking, I was up straight away and could see a cat had come into the back garden and set off the security light. Once the cat left Schuey went straight back to bed.

Cheers,

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi ****,

It sounds like you devote all your 'spare' time to caring for Schuey, and you are obviously concerned about the amount of time he has to be left. It's a difficult one isn't it, as i appreciate bills have to be paid, we haven't always been travelling and there was a day when both me and my hubby would leave the house for work at 7.30am and not return until 6.30pm. (That's why we got out of it!)

Anyway, i'm sure everyone will appreciate it is hard to juggle life these days, but what you have to remember is there is always a way around it. I don't think giving up your beloved Lab is an option, as it's clear you care about him. It may seem like a unreal solution, but have you or your wife considered changing your job?

I know that when we get home, now we have Bradley, our lab, i will be staying at home working from home so i can care for Bradley, whilst hubby goes out to work.

Could you find something close to home, or flexible hours, or maybe work different shifts, allowing someone to be with Schuey more often? Although jobs are important i understand, i think here, Schuey as you'll agree is the most important of the lot.

The only other option i can suggest is dog walkers or pet sitters, but then i feel what's the point of paying someone to do the job when you could be doing it :wink:

Whatever happens you do have choices, and by the sounds of it, it would seem like you are prepared to spend more time with Schuey no matter what.

I'm sure between us all here we will help you decide what's best, keep us posted ok. Please don't feel like anyone is judging you, you wouldn't be here in the first place if you didn't care. :wink:

Kind Regards

Julie

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi again!

I have to agree again with everything people have said - as a couple James and I have been very lucky - we both used to have wll paid office jobs, but 2 years ago I was made redundant and decided to start my own business which I did successfully for nearly a year although I did not feel that I was getting as much out of the business that I wanted and because I was on the road selling I could not have the one thing I wanted - a dog!!

In August last year my friend got her 2nd lab and when I went with her to pick Ben up there was one little boy left, I couldnt bear to leave him there alone so after a phone call to James I went to the cash point, drew out the money and came home with my Charlie....that was my mind made up - I would close the business that I wasnt enjoying running anyway, and do something else work wise because I refused to leave Charlie home alone all day........

It was always my intention to get a little part time job somewhere, but that never seemed to happen and I have to admit I got quite used to pottering around at home so when 2 people approached me from the training school that we go to asking me to 'dog sit' their pets because due to changes in circumstances they had to go back to work and didnt want to leave their dogs alone that is how I became a dog walker.

Charlie and James are my priorities in life - we have had to tighten our belts a bit as dog sitting makes no where near the money I made when I had the business, but I get complete job satisfaction out of it - I 'work' from home, enjoy plenty of walks which helps me - I have 4 dogs here which are all absolutely lovely so everyone wins really!! :D

So, what I am trying to say is this - there is always a way around things, if you want to find a solution to this then you will. No one thinks bad of you for having a dog and working, thousands of people do exactly that - but for Schueys sake, please think about getting someone to help you out during the day......it will make you all much happier!!!

Sarah

1 - 14 of 14 Posts