Labradors Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She has managed to swallow a whole chicken drunstick, 8O cooked at that. 8O
Am waiting for duty vet to ring me back. Anything I should do in the meantime please.

Marianne

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
If it was raw, I'd say not to worry but I don't know much about cooked, sorry. Fingers crossed for Skittle though, I'm sure it'll all be fine.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, Vet just rang back and is hopeful it will get partially digested and the rest passed 'in the normal way' 8O
Got to keep an eye on her though!!

Marianne

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
The meat bit won't be a problem at all and I'd have thought (but could be wrong) that the meat will protect Skittle until it gets to her stomach where it should start breaking down. It's amazing what canine digestive systems will do to bones :wink:

G

·
Well put it this way if she swallowed it whole, at least it won't splinter like it would have if she crunched it.

Mojo swallowed a raw drumstick whole (greedy cow) and it came out the other end without any meat on it and with the ends of the bone semi digested. It caused no problems though thankfully.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jules 8O I have a not very pretty picture in my mind of Skittle trying to pass a WHOLE drumstick :lol:
Wont it get stuck??

I know their digestive system is VERY robust to say the least. She has to my knowledge stolen and swallowed whole several 'kills' of the cat's!!

Marianne

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Some one once posted about a similar thing and was told that nowadays, being as Chickens are fed so many hormones and stuff to make them grow quickly, their bones are very fragile anyway, and so digest much quicker than in 'the olden days'. I don't know how true it is, but I can see how it could well be.

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could well be right!! Vet was not overly worried, just said watch incase she started to be sick etc!!

She has just pulled the cats food off the worktop!! She has to eat everything that can go in her mouth!! Can labs really be this hungry 8O

Marianne

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Oh nawty Skittle! All fingers, toes and paws crossed over here for a 'smooth' passing! 8O I'd agree with the fact that as she swallowed it whole, its far less likely to splinter i'd have thought, than if she had chomped on it first! Let us know when it appears!!!! x

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK Jemima, will do!! She really is naughty, anything that fits in the mouth gets swallowed!!

Marianne

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: If she's still eating, I can't see there's a problem. It'll be churning away in her stomach by now. I think most problems (and again, I could be wrong) are from bones splintering before they get to the stomach.

G

·
Ruby did that when she was little. Whole drumstick down in one.

Luckily it caused her no harm, but it did give her a bit of the squits the following day!

Hope Skittle suffers no ill effects!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Claire, I hope she is ok too!! I am begining to get neurotic about the number of times Skittle is at the vets coz of what she has eaten :oops:

Marianne

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Hope it passes through okay!

I don't know how your house is set up, but is there no way to block her access to the kitchen? Might be an idea to avoid the scares! :)

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No there is no way to stop her counter-surfing!! I had put d/stick at back of worktop to put it out with the rest of my badger food AND put things infront of it!! She has learnt to stretch a front leg and use her claws to drag stuff forward 8O To think I thought she was dim :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marianne

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
:lol: Yorkie is the same! His favourite trick was to pull the chopping board forward and give it a good clean :roll:

He has been banned now. I don't allow him in the kitchen unless its his dinnertime, or he sits on the mat at the far end when I'm in there and doesn't move. Sadly we live with OH's parents and they don't keep this up with him so he's not adverse to trying his luck when they're about :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts