Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby has never been interested in retrieving, i think in her entire life shes maybe brought something back Ive thrown 3 times, she much prefers to run after something look at it, and then run back to me without it. Shes also not particularly interested in tennis balls ( footballs on the other hand, shes obsessed with)

Yet today Ive been sat on the sofa feeling sorry for myself as Ive got rotten cold and shes dropped a tennis ball in my lap, so i threw it through the lounge door and down the hallway, and she ran after it, brought it back and sat in front of me, when i put my hand out, she dropped it in my hand, so i threw it again, and once again she retrieved it back to my hand! and again, and again, and again. I thought id test her and threw a stuffed toy instead, and yep brought it straight back, sat down and waited for me to take it from her.

Who is she and what have you done with my dog?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its probably a one off, I'll throw a ball later and she will probably look at me as if to say If you wanted it... why did you throw it?" or "you threw it, you fetch it, I'm staying here!"

Ill try it on walks when shes finished her season, there are about 10 of her balls in the field behind our house where i tried to encourage her to "fetch" before and she would completely ignore the balls and then i couldn't find them in the long grass!

Shes now trying to kill a stufed toy thats as big as her by shaking the life out of it!

·
Administrator
20,586 Posts
You have obviously inadvertantly swapped dogs somewhere on your walks. Have you checked to see if she is still a bitch and not changed into a dog? Is she still the right colour? Black Labs can sometimes be mistaken for yellow, particulaly when the lights are out.

John :wink:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha!!!

Maybe she hasn't been retrieving stuff at all, maybe I'm hallucinating because Ive got a temperature??

·
Administrator
20,586 Posts
Maybe she hasn't been retrieving stuff at all, maybe I'm hallucinating because Ive got a temperature??
Arr, now I haddn't thought of that! That could very likely be the answer! If so then "Normal Services" will be resumed very shortly.

John :wink:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok.. i have filmed her. I cant be hallucinating...can i :? ?

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i37.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/clairelovestlc/Fetch-1.flv">

This will stand as proof the next time she pretends she has no idea what to do when i throw something and say fetch, that she does actually know what i want her to do!!!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Woo Hoo :D

Well done that girl!

It took my Bert nearly 5 years to retrieve anything, so it does seem labs do mature in different ways and times :wink: . They'll be no stopping her now I bet :)

·
Administrator
20,586 Posts
Believe me, now she's found it's good fun there'll be no stopping her! It's good because it's a way of interacting with each other. :)

Regards, John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts