Labradors Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

As we are vegetarians i can understand that frodo is deprived of omega 3 & 6....I tried Flax seeds but he will not eat it ( nor wud I)... I'm thinking of giving him some fish oil capsules or sardines hidingly when i take him for a walk...

what i need to know is...

1.is fish oil cap or sardines necessary....if so what do you feed your labbie

2.is it necessary to also supplement vitamin E along with fish oil cap...

Thanks & hopefully no one in my family reads this post lolz....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Frodosmum
If he's getting a good quality complete, he shouldn't need any supplements, although having said that, I do give a tin of sardines or pilchards once a week.
If you are supplementing him with body fish oils (not cod liver oil), then it is beneficial to give vit E.
Have a look at this
http://b-naturals.com/Mar2004.php
Sorry - in a rush today
regards
Jenny :)

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
My dogs have always had a tin of Pilchards in Tomato sauce every Sunday lunchtime. I think the fish oil in them does them good. I never use the ones in brine. To me those are far too salty. I know I could drain the brine off but then I would be loosing quite a bit of the oil so I stick with the Tomato sauce ones.

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jenny, fay & john.... :D ... Let me now smuggle a can of sardines....I'll be dead if caught lolz.... :lol:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am interested in your post about sardines and pilchards - at what age can I start introducing these into Lucca's diet? - he will be 6 1/2 weeks old when we get him so presumably not for a few weeks yet!!!??

Sarah

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi all

Is this something I need to be considering for Smudge? At the moment, the only thing he eats is his James Wellbeloved complete food so do I need to start adding supplements as well? He is 8 months old.

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Hi Sarah
I would work by degrees. I feed one of those small tins of Glenryck Pilchards in Tomato Sauce which contain around 3 to 4 pilchards once a week to one dog. With a baby I would give just one and eat the rest myself! :wink:

Hi Nic. With a well balanced diet you dont NEED anything else. So saying, I've always given them, bit of a treat and also the fish oil is good for coats. :)

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi John

Many thanks for the tip - I'll put it on my next shopping list! I do love to see a nice shiny coat!

All the best,
Nic
X

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lucca had his first tin of sardines last night and absolutely loved them - did what John said and gave him a couple and was going to eat the rest myself, but ..... Lucca just sat there looking at the unfinished tin on the side with such a lovely look, I could not resist and let him finish it off :) Luckily it did not seem to have any detrimental effect on his stomach so hopefully now he will maintain that lovely shiney coat he has and enjoy a weekly treat in the meantime.

Sarah
x

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats nice that lucca loved his sardines....I'm gonna get our can this week as mother-in-law leaves for her holiday tommorrow nite...... we have 2 types available here in mumbai....In tomato sauce and in sunflower oil.... wonder which one to buy.... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts