Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in morning, my laptop has died, so now i have to use my hubby pc upstairs which i hate :evil:

I did something very silly and left it in the window sill along with a cuip of coffee and Skye jumped up in the window and knocked the coffee all over the keyboard and now it wont even switch on.

How am i going manage :(

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
OOPS 8O 8O

RIP laptop :cry: :cry: :cry: You do better that me Den, I have 4 laptops and cannot get any of them to work with my wirless router :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :( (dont ask I am a gadget freak :roll: :roll: )

May be worth checking your house insurance to see if you are covered for accidental damage :?

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked and because i told the truth and said the dog had done it, they said we are not covered for pet accidents, so it hought would check her insurance and my laptop inst covered there either

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Oh no, poor you Den :(

At least you have a pc for backup and can still log on.

My laptop went down on Christmas Eve and I was dreading not being able to log on to LF over the holidays (no other reason :D )

Anyway OH suggested leaving it on and seeing if it came to life, strange as he is not too pc literate :!:

Then as I was cooking Christmas dinner came the confession that he had spilt wine on the keyborad the evening before.

If you leave it for a little while hopefully it may come back to life :?:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Turn it upside down, leave it somewhere warm to dry out (not too warm), and you might be lucky - although probably not if there was any sugar in the coffee ..... :(

I've rescued drowned keyboards this way, but I'm not sure about a whole laptop.

Best of luck
Liz

·
Registered
769 Posts
i dropped my fone in a glass of water once... not on purpose lol but i left it to dry out and it worked later in the week. if the circuits arnt completely dry it wont work at all. so leave it somewhere warm for a few days and see what happens!

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
Oh heck! I know the feeling. :( I had a similar accident a few weeks ago, hollie headbutted my coffee mug and the coffee went all over my laptop.

Fortunately the insurance paid out and I got a new computer (desktop).

I put the laptop in the airing cupboard for a week (open and upside down)and it now works but the keys are sticky and the touchpad doesn't work (I have to use a mouse) but it's still useable.

:D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Oh you poor thing. I know just how you feel.

My laptop packed in 17th December, absolutely nothing worked. Took it to a computer shop and was told they would see what they could do but no guarantee it would be back for Christmas.

I was devastated, no LF for how long???????

Also, silly me, has hundreds of photos which are not backed up on a disk, was terrified I had lost them.

For once my father was a star, he went into a draw and brought out a box and presented me with a new laptop :D :D

Still trying to get used to it but at least I can still get my LF fix :)

Have heard other people say that drying it out might work, lets hope so for you.

Linda - I am not computer literate at all and could not get this laptop to go wireless but was sure it must be able to as it has 'Vista', tried all sorts of adaptors. Took it to work with me and before I knew what was happening one of the chefs was on the internet!!!!!!

Apparently all he did was press 'FN' and 'F1' together. Hope this helps.

Happy New Year. xx

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Oh no Den!, hopefully leaving it somewhere warm to dry out may do the trick but I wouldn`t hold out much hope :(

Just shows, honesty doesn`t always pay with insurance companies! :?

Wish I was closer, I have my old one that survived the fire (was well protected in two cases), you could have borrowed that peding sorting the old one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
my beloved abyss knocked into my legs and knocked my cuppa all over my pc tower, a couple of months ago, the tea was running out the bottom of it lol

luckily my pc is insured thru the shop i got it from, they said to leave it switched off until they got a tech out to check it out, 10 days later the tech opened it up, wiped the inside of the case with a baby wipe??? then said it can be switched back on, pc worked ok and is still going yet

so might be worth puting the lappy somewhere warm for a bit and hope that it will dry it out without too much damage

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like you have already tried to turn it o n and therfore you may have shorted the system and caused damage.

But if not, and you have central heating, put a thick towel over the radiator and turn the laptop upside down with the case open on there and leave for at least 2 weeks.

Once dried out, it "should" work again but if you have shorted it, it may have damaged it.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:D :D :D :D :D

I am so happy so happy so happy.

I put in the airing cupoard last night and checked th morning and hey presto it works, The keys have to be pressed alot harder but it works, it will lasy me until i can save up to buy a new one.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Den - get yourself a memory stick as a matter of urgency and back up everything important to it. Or, back up all your files to the PC. There's a high chance the laptop may just randomly die, so please make sure you're covered if it does.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts