Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we picked up our beautiful new 8 year old puppy, Smudge. I have just put his first photo in our photo album on 'Black Labradors'.

He is being so good so far! We had quite a longish journey back from the breeders (about 50 minutes) and he slept most of the way! He came in to the house, had a good old sniff round and a little bit of food and water.

He is mostly sleeping though he keeps having these 'mad' 10 minutes where he charges around a bit! But whilst he's had a couple of 'mishaps', he's also been a very good boy and went to the loo out in the garden as well! We're so proud of him......and totally in love!

He's currently tucked up in his bed!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi NiChris,

Bet you are chuffed to bits. It is always so nice watching them nosing about & discovering new smells & things.

I hope that he settles in ok & you will have tyo keep us up to speed with his progress :D

He looks so cute... 8)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Today we picked up our beautiful new 8 year old puppy, Smudge. I have just put his first photo in our photo album on 'Black Labradors'.
Hi Nicola :D

Congratulations on your new puppy, Smudge is lovely! I can just picture him having his mad 10 minutes, i remember the time well when our Bradley was the same, lol. :lol:

I hope you've had a good night with him, and he slept ok, i'm sure he got you up nice and early this morning :wink:

I look forward to hearing all about him, and wish you all the best, if you need any advice don't forget to post on the forums, and i'm sure someone will be only to happy to help.

Kind Regards

Bradleysmum :animaldog:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update On Smudge!

Hi all!

Sorry it's taken a few days for me to post again...but as you can imagine, we've been pretty busy with the little fella!

Chris had last week off work with him and worked wonders! He's now asking to go out to the loo and if he gets caught short, he always finds his way to the newspaper (I am of course talking about Smudge here!). Chris had also managed to put him into the kitchen on his own while he mowed the grass etc and Smudge soon settled.....which is reassuring for when we have to leave him.

We've had some sleepless nights but cured that one last night. We had followed the advice in the puppy book and put him in a high sided box in our room. He was crying and we thought that we had managed to ascertain whether this was attention or 'crossed legs' so to speak! However, we must probably have gone to him too often because he was crying almost constantly. Putting the TV on for a little while seemed to settle him a bit but last night we took his bed up and put it in our room and shut our door, with the obligatory newspaper on the floor! Anyway, he slept right through and was so settled! He only woke up at about 5.30am which was fine and he didn't cry at all! We're so proud of him for that!

This week, I'm off work and spending some time with him. He's behaving very well still, though he went absolutely crazy in the garden earlier! lol! But at least it tired him out! He's asleep at the moment.

We also took him to the Vets last week for his 1st injections and he was a little star! He was really good in the car on the way there and didn't murmur when he was with the vet. She did blackmail him with tasty vitamin tablets though! And he got loads of attention in there too! It was a joy to be out with him!

At the weekend, we had another couple come to visit and he was great with them too!

Have put more pictures in our album now for you all to see - he's the light of our lives!

All the best to fellow lab lovers!

Nicola.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Nicola

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun! Smudge is so cute.

My little choc boy was born yesterday, so I've got the 8 weeks to wait now until he comes home - which will be a journey of 2.5 hours but hopefully he'll travel well like yours did! Am so excited, didn't sleep much last night (hopefully i will get some sleep in the next 8 weeks though!) :sleeping:

Karen :D

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Waiting Game!

Hi Karen!

Congratulations on your new pup! Don't worry, the 8 weeks will fly by....we chose Smudge at just under 2 weeks and were so excited for the next month or so! Believe me, they are well worth the wait!

Look forward to seeing some piccies of your new choc boy! Have you thought of a name yet?

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Nicola

Yes we thought of a name months ago before we had even started to look for a dog :lol: He's going to be called Corbie.

I had to wait 7 weeks before they were born and that went quickly so hope the further 8 weeks is ok, plus there's Christmas in between, so I should just about cope! :D Will be a nice start to 2005. I can assure you, there will be plenty of piccies when the time comes :lol:

It looks like Smudge likes to sleep anywhere, judging by the photo of him what looks like asleep half in and half out his bed... cute!

Karen

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi ,

reading your message has made me realise how quicky it has gone by since Sally was 8 weeks old. She is now 17 weeks old and we still adore her. We have found that Sally sleeps quietly in the front room but that might be because my husband and I took turns sleeping on the sofa to keep her company. She slept in our bed for the first time last night and was an angel, not even getting up to go toilet until I took her out at 6am. But as long as it works for you and smudge, you do what you can.

I will look at photos, can't wait and I will try to get my hubby to get the photos on of Sally. I bet you can't wait until you take Smudge out! I took Sally to the park and she had a whale of a time playing with a squeaky ball and a 15 month old German shepherd. When she got home she was so tired that even when we said dinner (which normally makes her run around like a maniac) she just carried on sleeping.

Anyway hope to hear from you some more about smudge

·
Registered
125 Posts
new pups

Hi NiChris

We're pretty much in the same situation as you. We get our little fella in about 4 weeks now and are really looking forward to it. Its nice to hear some "good" stories saying that the pups have trained well - everyone seems to jump on the "oh no what are you doing getting a dog" bandwagon at the moment. That can be so frustrating. We have thought long and hard about getting a dog before going into it and have done (and are still doing) lots of research into what we are letting ourselves in for, and are still looking forward to it. :D We have just posted our pics under the chocolate labrador section. Our little one is "Barney". Our breeder is being great by keeping us well informed of progress and every stage it seems including sending regular photographs, so we are both getting really excited.

Good luck with getting your Corbie

Gordon & Suz

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hi Gordon and Suz

Barney is really cute - just had a look at his piccies!

We have been kept up to date well by our breeder too and I was sent a photo as soon as they were all born (or rather when they allowed her time to send one!). The benefits of modern technology! :lol:

Karen

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have just looked and Barney is really cute. We have just posted pics at the end of the black labrador section. I can't wait to hear more about your lab.

lucy

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: new pups

gordon said:
Hi NiChris

Its nice to hear some "good" stories saying that the pups have trained well - everyone seems to jump on the "oh no what are you doing getting a dog" bandwagon at the moment. That can be so frustrating. We have thought long and hard about getting a dog before going into it and have done (and are still doing) lots of research into what we are letting ourselves in for, and are still looking forward to it.
Hi Gordon & Suz

We too had a little bit of that from some people....but guess what? The one person in our office that actually had a dog was all for it! And she's right. Smudge has certainly changed our lives, but definitely for the better! We're having to change the way we run our home but seeing his wonderful little face all the time and cuddling him just makes it a fantastic experience!

Good luck to you all with your new pups - you'll wonder how you ever lived without them!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congratulations! I hope you have as much fun with him, he sounds just perfect.

I am a GP, and my wife Elaine is a nurse. Interestingly, at both the practices where we work, more than 50% of the staff (doctors, nurses, receptionists and so on) are dog owners. In my practice, I have a partner who owns two black labs and a practice nurse and one of the receptionists have yellow labs too.

Funny, that!

J

1 - 13 of 13 Posts