Labradors Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 2 have been getting on the sofa ever since I got them, we are planning to get a new sofa soon and my other half doesn't want them on it anymore. Bailey is 7 so is it mean if i stop him coming up for cuddles and is it possible to stop him :lol: or will they just jump on it when i'm out ? also Jenson sleeps in his bed at night which we put on the sofa :roll: so do you reckon if we put it on the floor he will just jump on the sofa or in time can we change this with practice ? or is it a done deal now they are 7 and 3

Thanks Sarah

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't think it's mean (or your dogs won't see it that way anyway). Dogs adapt and learn their whole lives, but it might be more difficult to break the habit.
Perhaps start teaching 'off' now and get them each a bed that you can place near the sofa and start teaching them to go there instead. If you don't want them on the sofa while you're out, then perhaps restrict access to the living room or place cushions or other things to block access?

My Cooper has a blanket on the sofa and he knows that he can only jump on if his blanket is there.

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
I think you'll find it difficult to break such a well established habit, particularly when you're out. I agree with getting a good quality leather sofa, that way you're not worrying about the dogs getting up on it and you can still have your cuddles :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
We definitely wouldn't be able to keep Homer off the sofa! He believes he I one of us.

Our sofas are light cream but old so we just have a throw tucked over the cushions but will need to get new sofas sometime soon.

Orvis do sofa covers, their stuff us a bit pricy but we recently got some door mats and a bed for Homer and their quality is good.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, We have a leather sofa and it now has a rip in it and we have only had it for a year, but it's Jenson he get on the sofa and then he scratches as if he is digging a hole.

Thanks Sarah

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
As above, I would have a nice alternative bed for the dogs (and maybe a floor cushion or beanbag for yourself so you can sit on the floor with them), then block access to the sofa when you're not with them - either keep them out of that room or put things on the sofa to stop them getting on it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I must admit to having a giggle when reading this! Like Cooper, Lily and Star have a throw on the sofa back and they know not to get up without it being spread out. That was until Lil decided she could get round this by pulling the blanket down and sitting on it all by herself, perched on top of the cushions.

So now we have dog beds on the floor and they don't get on the sofa at all. Unless OH and I are out, of course......

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
janed said:
I must admit to having a giggle when reading this! Like Cooper, Lily and Star have a throw on the sofa back and they know not to get up without it being spread out. That was until Lil decided she could get round this by pulling the blanket down and sitting on it all by herself, perched on top of the cushions.

So now we have dog beds on the floor and they don't get on the sofa at all. Unless OH and I are out, of course......
Clever girl Lily! Cooper's blanket is almost always spread out anyway :oops: :D

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Can i also press the point in a previous post that if you want this big change to occur, you will need to start working on it a long time before the new sofa arrives. As mentioned, you will need to teach 'off'.... by letting them On your current sofa, then TEACHING them the command by encouraging them OFF with food and then treating them and stroking them 'good off, goooooood offff'. This needs doing many many times till they respond hoping for a treat, every time but only get treated occasionally.

Then yes as mentioned yoou will need to simply keep them away when you aren't there from the room in question. A dog who has done something every day of his life for 3 or 7 years cannot have trust put on him not to get on something without you there to tell him its wrong. When you are NOT there he won't be being told not to, therefore, to him it won't be WRONG... so yep, really when you are out, id just pick them a new place to be, kitchen with beds etc. OR as mentioned you will have to seriously blockade the sofa.

this should really be started as soon as possible or your new sofa will get jumped on many many times during the pretty long learning period.

I reckon in a couple of weeks the rule will change anyway as they tend once they have known a sofa to be BLOODY hard work to turn it around and you spend your days feeling a total git ;-)

Di

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I reckon you might have your work cut out there :wink:

Mine have only ever been allowed on the sofa by invitation. Ruby actually prefers her own bed but Bella enjoys a snuggle on the sofa at every opportunity!

However after last nights incident, where Ruby passed wind whilst snuggling on the sofa and a bit of anal gland juice escaped onto the leather at the same time, I am not sure she will ever be allowed on the sofa again :( :oops:

Chloe

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
katieb said:
My Dog is super clever, knows sofa is only allowed when Daddy is out :lol:
:lol: Brill! 8)

We have three identical chairs in the kitchen, Daddy said 'no dogs on chairs' - Tatze and I thought different!

Now we each have a chair - Tatze knows which is hers, but if she does sneak up onto one of the others I say 'off' and she moves to her own chair.

:D

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Our old lab was even worse he knew he wasn't allowed on beds or sofa, never even tried in our house. My Mum let him do anything so he'd go round hers and jump straight on the bed and just look at us as if to say '...its not your house' 8O

1 - 16 of 16 Posts