Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
My labrador Monty is 16 weeks, and we go to the local park in the evening where we usually meet up with a man and his dog. We would love to let Monty off the lead to play and the other man keeps telling us to, as he says while he is playing with his dog he won't run off. Do you think we are being too cautious and should we just let him off?

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
88 Posts
Hi everyone
My labrador Monty is 16 weeks, and we go to the local park in the evening where we usually meet up with a man and his dog. We would love to let Monty off the lead to play and the other man keeps telling us to, as he says while he is playing with his dog he won't run off. Do you think we are being too cautious and should we just let him off?
I would say that depends on several factors amongst which how does your dog react to you recalling him? How dangerous (example roads with fast traffic) are the surrounding areas and how far are you from them? Is the other dog obeying its owner so that if he recalls him yours will follow? How does he react if frightened, would he run seeking your protection or run away? Did you explicitely train him for a "come" command?
I would be wary of giving you advice without observing how your "adolescent" puppy and you interact :)
I think you should take an educated guess based on all of these factors (and more) and decide.
Take care.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. He has been trained to
come, which he does quite well but that has been on our own. The park is fenced off on the side where we would let him off. The other dog is trained well. When anything frightens him he just freezes near us. We have a 10m lead which I was thinking of leaving on him, dragging on the floor and also there would be 3 of us with him standing at different points.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
88 Posts
Well within this context I'd be inclined to give it a go but as I'm giving you my opinion from 1800 kilometers you must exercise your own judgement :)
Good luck, have fun! :)

·
Administrator
21,003 Posts
Try to find somewhere safe and go for it. The earlier you let a pup off lead the better, before his confidence grows. He will likely stay close because you are all he knows. My pups normally go off lead the very first time they go out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts