Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have a 6 month old yellow labrador called benson he has recently been diagnosed with OCD.He has had keyhole surgery on his front right elbow to remove some cartilage, and has now had the stitches removed. He is now in the recovery period (which is easier said than done with a 6 month old puppy). I was wondering if anyone has experienced this, whether it was successful and how long the recovery took? Also whether anyone has information on this subject?

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi,Yes i have a 15 month old black lab who had an arthroscopy a few weeks ago,Dylan has bilateral elbow dysplasia and already has arthritis in both elbows,he had the removal of fragmented bone(medial coronoid process) in the right elbow, he will also have to have his left elbow currated or scrape the overgrown bone out to the rest of us, at some future date.I have not been very succesful in keeping Dylan quiet as he is very very hyper and on the go all the time,but saying that his orthopedic surgeon was really pleased with him when we had his check up,he has now just started to go off lead for 5 or 10 minutes on the field, he is asleep at the moment as he has just had playtime with Monty a 9 year old choccy lab and willow a 10 year old rhodesian,so it was only gentle play for his first play for ages.Dylan still has a bad limp and we have no idea if it will go away,I hope Ben (my old lab was called that) is recovering nicely,did you go to an animal hospital or did your vet do it? hopefully you were insured.He was a good lad leaving the stitches in as Dylan had taken all but one of his staples out.I found some good info on the net but the best came from Dylan's surgeon she took time to tellus everything showed us bits of bone and pictures and x-rays,she was excelent.These sites might help you theres a few more floating around but these are handy www.recoverysa.com/osteochondrosis-pets.html and http://www.thepetcentre.com/xtra/ocd.html,anyway let me know how the little one is getting on and I am always here if you need any more info that i can give you.Lynne.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the info and i hope everything keeps going ok for Dylan. Ben had his opp at the surgery as it is a clinic and a hospital in one. The only reason his stitches stayed in is because we had to put a jumper! We got some strange looks i think they all thought it was a coat! He had to have the joint scraped out but the vet said his recovery should be good. He may develope arthritis later on in life (around 5 or 6yrs) but because it was treated early his chances are good. Luckly we had pet insurance as the bill so far has reached nearly £1000! Its nice to know that someone else is also going through this (not that i would wish this on any dog!) and i'm not the only one. Let me know how you get on with dylan's progress. :)

best wishes
cristina

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi
I do know what you are going through as I had a boy some 12 years ago that
had similar operation on his stifle. He to was only young at the time and
was mad when he came out of his crate. But at that time I had to put him on
a lead immediately he came out of the crate, I did this for 6 weeks, but it
was worth it he is still around now at 13 years and very healthy. Best
wishes Meg PS I meant to have posted this earlier but sent it as an e-mail to admin stupid me

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Cristina,Forgot to ask you if Ben is on medication? Dylan was put on rimadyl and glucosamin/condontorin ,then metacam but we had to to take him off them as he was really ill with them, and the synoquin made him worse,so the poor baby had no medication and he's been a very brave lad,his hair is now starting to grow back nicely and yes you are right it's not a nice thing for them to go through.Dylan was operated on in Frodsham,Cheshire and his bill was £1600 .Dylan's surgeon said she was very optomistic for his recovery,and he seems to be doing very well,there's no stopping him anyway,but i wish he did'nt have it at all, especially the arthritis.Anyway i'm always here if you need to compare notes or anything.Lynne.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I was wondering, did your dog make a full recovery or did he still have a limp or something? Hope he has many more years to come.

cristina

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
HI Cristina
My dog made a full recovery and has never had a limp and is still sound for his age. He was operated on at Cambridge. Good Luck, but do try to stop him running around too much at this stage, it works well in the end. Meg

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lynne,

Yes ben is on medication, he is on Rimadyl and cosequin (which is £55 a tub of 120 tables ahhh!) The rimadyl he is on for another 2 weeks and the expensive one he has to have 4 tables a day untill he is one yrs old to stop it spreading to any other joints and help to rebuild the damaged cartilage. luckily petplan will pay toward medication thank god. He is still limping but that is to be expected as the opp was not that long ago and there is still a lump where they had to go in through the muscle. He has to go back to the vets next thursday for a check up, i will let you know how we get on. Keep me updated with dylans's progress :)

cristina

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi,Dylan only had the op about 5weeks ago so he is still in recovery,yes he has a limp,but he uses the leg all the time and the surgeon said that his mobility was much improved,i asked her if he would limp for the rest of his life and she said that the piece of cartilage he had broken off was quite big, and had started to re grow and that it had done major damage but she hoped he wouldnt limp but couldnt be sure.Lynne.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Sorry Meg,seems i pinched your post there for a minute,the one about the limp,once again my apologies.Lynne.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for replying to the mail, i did not know it was only 5 weeks ago dylan had surgery their not that far apart, we will have to compare progress! :D

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Lynne i forgot to ask, have you got any photos of dylan on here? there are some of ben in his t-shirt in the yellow lab section, also there is one of in at the moment as the featured lab photo on the home page!

cristina

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Cristina, no photos of Dylan on there yet.still havent managed to work it out(thick or what?)but hubby is home for a few days the week after next, so i'm sure he will be able to do it for me as he can read ,he keeps telling me i dont read things properly and he is right but i dont tell him that.I have seen Ben's photos he's a real cutie.Dylan is suffering this morning as he did a runner and went to wee on everyones garden and was running round the cul-de-sac like an idiot,eventually came back to me , so he is very sore and has a bad limp this morning.Sleep is a great healer they say and its only cos hes so frustrated at not getting full exercise.I am trying to find something for pain that he can take but everything makes him bad.Take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Lynne,

Sorry to hear that dylan is not to good today. They will do silly things!
I have recently heard about a company called bioflow which do alternative pain therapy for humans and pets. They do a special dog collar for dogs to help with pain (no drugs involved). My auntie had a wrist version and she swears by it. Must be worth a try! On there website they are doing a free offer to try it for 90 days and if it does not work you don't have to pay. As i said they are called Bioflow and the web address is www.mghmarketing.co.uk or you can phone them on 0800 298 2935 for more info, or contact them direct on 01472 500609.
Hope this helps!

cristina

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
HI Cristina,thanks for the info you have just reminded me that i still have Ben's magnetic collar somewhere,maybe i could try that on Dilly,i'm getting him some devils claw to try as well.And how is Ben to-day not been an idiot like dylan i bet.How did you get Ben diagnosed with ocd?Dylan threw himself in the pond when he was about 5 months old and came out with the leg straight out,he was put on rimadyl which freaked him out and after a week or so he seemed ok,then a few months later we went for a walk on the wirral way and he was attacked by a dobermann who threw him in the air and the same thing happened when i picked him up from the ditch he was holding his leg out again,so the vet decided to x-ray.The rest as they say is history,the athroscopy and 2days in hospital.The owner of the dobie said she thought it would be ok as she thought dyl was a bitch as he was so cute and didnt expect her dog to attack but another black labby owner said he was a nutter,so i havent been there since.Anyway take care,Lynne.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

Ben is his normal loopy self today! Everything with ben started with a limp! 3 weeks later he was having surgery! We live on the isle of wight and he loves the beaches i think he must have done something there, the kids like to make holes in the sand! And he has fallen in a few(so have i). I have sent you a private massage let me know if you get it! (Never used it before!).

cristina

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello I'm a new member I stumbled across this site looking for information on magnetic therapy and a page came up with your query on ocd.
I have a chocolate lab called pudding she is nearly 3 now but she had the same situation as your puppy. She was only 6 months old when she was diagnosed with OCD she had key hole surgery on her back left leg and was not aloud to exercise for 6 months (I agree not easy). She still has a bit off a limp which only occurs after a lot of running around and when she wants some sympathy. She has now be diagnosed with arthritis in the same joint but this does not stop her running around and going mad which she does alot. I'm now going to invest in a magnetic dog collar in the hope that this will help her.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is she back to doing all the things a normal dog does now, Running, jumping ,playing etc? Only I was worried that this limp will never go away! I know it is a different leg and the front ones are there weight barring legs but it is intresting to compare notes with people and dogs in the same position :D Welcome to the forum too. :D

Cristina

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes still runs around like something possessed. I take her to a yard were there is a black lab of the same age and they bolt around together. She leaps, jumps, goes up the stairs and in general is very active she also escapes into the field we have behind our house were she is often seen running off with the farmers dog! The only thing is we have been told by our vet we cannot breed with her as ocd is hereditary.
Thanks for the link will go and take a look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts