Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure most of you have already, or are in the middle of, teaching your lovely Labrador the basic commands necessary to fit in with living with us humans. Are there any commands that have been more difficult to teach than others? What has been the most difficult command for your Lab to learn and carry out every single time you give the command?

I've attached a poll - and a few tips to help you along the way. :wink:

- Always make eye contact with your dog during training.

- Keep the sessions short, you will find your Lab will lose attention otherwise.

- Be patient.

- Don't over excite your Lab during training sessions.

- Use short, simple commands.

- Use the same word, with the same meaning, at all times.

- Be consistant, if you change your commands, your Lab will get confused.

- Begin a command by saying your Labs name, it will get his or her attention.

- Finish your training session with fun & praise.

·
Registered
193 Posts
wow, a recurring theme there!
we thought we had it sorted, but Molly just seems to have decided to ignore us at the moment....gonna have to start again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my chocolate lab for about 4 months now (a 2 year old inheritated from a friend who could no longer have him) and he is inconsistent with come/recall commands.
He's not been castrated but is now booked in for it, and seems to be worse when other dogs are around.
Does being castrated really make a difference? We've done clicker training with sporadic success but we are getting disheartened by the fact he seems to have such "selective hearing".....
Any help/experience/fool proof plans would be most appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts