Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been at obedience training tonight and we've been given a new thing to work on. Distance control - down to sit and sit to down. I was all smug thinking, yeah, no probs, we can do this already....

....but apparently it's a no go for the dog to move their back legs. They're meant to sort of slide themselves back up to sit if that makes sense. One of the collies was used to demonstrate, but that dog can do it already so I was struggling to see quite how to stop Bracken using her back legs.

Can someone explain to me how to teach her to do this?

Also, what level of obedience is this required at, competition-wise?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Hi Mo - one of the experts will be along soon re: which class requires this & some tips - but for now, is she moving forwards or backwards?

If she moves forwards - I would do it initially by walking into Bracken so: ask her to sit, then down right in front of you - then walk into her (whilst giving your usual sit command) to get her to sit.

If she moves backwards - then do the exercise with her in a down with her back close to a wall - then she can't retreat when she sits.

I'd get the position correct before adding the distance! Then you only have a non-moving stand to add - that one is still flummoxing me!!!!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Mo Mary Ray covers all this in her DVD , nice happy methods too :wink:
It would perhaps be worth treating yourself :wink:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I haven't tried distance control properly yet (she keeps walking towards me then sitting! :lol: )

Competition wise this won't be required until the higher classes. If you are just starting out you will be in pre-beginners and distance control is not in this class at all.

Just heel on lead
heel off lead
Recall and Finish
Stays

Beginners will have an extra part in which is retrieve.

:D

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
I used to do it on the edge of a stage so she could not move forwards. The limit is that the dog must not move more than it's own length so aim for some positions to move slightly backwards to balance the natural forward movement of other moves.

Regards John

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks people :D

She can do emergency stop at a distance now, and tends to sit without being asked, but if I told her to lie down she would.

So last night I duly told her to sit, walked away from her and then told her to lie down, which she did. Bish bash bosh, or so I thought :lol:

Then I was told about the no moving back legs thing, so I went back to her and was working with her directly in front of me. I used a treat to try and get her going up and down without moving her back legs, but I found sort of leaning into her just didn't work. She was then shuffling backwards. Hadn't thought about doing it against a wall. When she's in a down and I command her to sit, I don't think she's particularly moving forward/back - more that she's bringing all four legs up at much the same time, so almost standing first, then sitting.

I'm in two minds about whether to try and train this anyway, as I have no aspirations really to progress in competition obedience. I'd rather pursue gundog training. However, at the same time, I do like a challenge, and as soon as I saw that pesky collie do it perfectly, the determined streak in me reared its ugly head! :lol:

Will look into the Mary Ray DVD - maybe Santa might bring it!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
competition-wise you don't need distant control until C - so it's a very advance exercise although of course it's another "trick" you can teach your dog in training classes

i don't understand what you mean about the dog can't move it's back legs - do you mean - it can't lift off the ground (i.e. show daylight or stand up first).

getting the dog to follow a treat, drawing it upwards from just above it's nose from the down to the sit should work easily

i am sure if you ask next week, they will demonstrate it to you .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts