Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site and Jake is my first dog. He's just turned 4 months. I've reduced him from 4 feeds to 3 feeds a day. Can anyone tell me when i can reduce him to 2. I'm also having problems with assertiveness. I'm able to train him to lie down, sit and give a paw but when he gets excited he constantly bites me. The firmer i am the more he thinks im playing. My husband just has to look at him and he sits down, which is really frustrating! The more i shout the more excited he gets!! can anyone help?

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi,

It's fairly common to switch to 2 feeds around 6 months of age (and i still feed 2 meals to my adult lab).

With the mouthing it is normal and as you've found shouting tends to hype a dog up. Yelping is often advised but that used to make my dog giddy too.
I used a low deep voice to say 'no' or 'wrong' or even a growl whatever your naughty word is and then redirect them to something they can chew like a toy. I would also stop play sessions is pup was continually mouthy and leapy as in our case it usually meant he was over-tired and needed a nap
:D

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
Agree with Sarah and will add, keep it short and sweet. 5 minutes of his attention at that age is a lot and like a child, they will try and divert you into something that gives them pleasure. Don't fall into the trap of saying the command over and over and over - all you are teaching them to do is to ignore your voice. So ... say sit... pause he sits, if he doesn't, pause, make him sit and repeat sit. I always say good sit when they do sit, to start off with.

So for lie down. I start with a sit, and use a treat infront of the nose.... draw it down to the ground slowly - head for in the front of his paws and then forward as he gets lower. When he is in the place you want him, then say "down" or "lie" or whatever your command is. If you use a treat, he will get the idea reaaaaaaly quick! No raised voices or frustration - just a dog working for a payment! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. Realised punishing while frustrated doesnt work-its just a vicious circle. Think it annoys me more because he reacts immediately to my husband (he's only home at weekends so i spend more time with him). Could it be a male thing? Think i've watched every episode of dog whisperer so I know he goes on about energy. I'm now on dog borstal!! lol :cry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts