Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Baymax joined our family the vet mumbled something like "yes keep on feeding him 4 times a day until he's 8 months". Without questioning I've blindly followed this advice giving him the 500-520 grams of kibbles at 8, 12, 4 and 8.

Now he's just turned 8 months and googling around it seems that the general consensus would be to have him only at a couple of feedings per day.

What's your advice and how would you transition from the four times a day?

Thanks a lot

Registered
Jas is a similar age and is on 2 meals a day now and I've taken John's advice and give a Bonio at lunchtime 馃檪
I was worried we would meet alot of resistance but she's taken it in her stride, we pretty much just went for it.......cold turkey to coin a phrase! Sometimes she has a Kong with kibble and other goodies in it between meals - but now I'm being stricter about subtracting from her kibble allowance, especially as a vet recently said Jas doesn't need to carry any more weight 馃槈 She has a raw beef rib bone a couple of times a week, on those days her supper volume gets reduced too.
She certainly knows when meal times are due though, sits by the kitchen door with that salubrious look that labs have 馃槅
A raw carrot or bit of raw broccoli goes down well occasionally too........

Administrator
The norm is, 4 feeds to 12 weeks, 3 feeds to 6 months then reduce to 2 feeds. (In the old days it was then recommended to reduce to one feed from12 months, but these days it's believed that sticking to 2 feeds per day is better for the system.) I feed morning and evening, but actually I do give a bonio at lunch time throughout their lives, just as a snack.

But really, it's more important how much you feed rather than how often. In the days when I had a diabetic dog I fed her 3 times per day to try to even out her sugar intake throughout the day rather than having the sugar intake in two heavier loadings. Obesity is obviously the important thing and that is more linked to amounts rather than frequency.

Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baymax seems quite fit, not overweight with his average of 500gr per day and I am pretty sure that even only 40-50 grams a day more or less do quickly show as him getting slender or plumper in just a week or so, so I keep driving "visually".

I will probably taper down to 3 and then two feeds a day then.

Thank you all

PS What is a "bonio" (which my Apple system insisted correcting in bongo) ?

Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep they do not seem available in my country but I guess I can always find a decently healthy treat,
Thanks a lot

Administrator
It's just a little something in the stomach to last until dinner. When we are working I'd not want my dogs to have a proper meal at mid day, then have to work again in the afternoon, so I take a bonio with me for them, and some water to wash it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts