Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of a lie in this morning and got up at 9.15 am to find 8 piles of poo deposited around my living room! 8O 8O :evil: :evil:

Have just finished clearing it all up and I feel totally sick - Yuck, Yuck, Yuck!!! The things you have to do eh! :roll:

The culprit was Rusti. I can tell which poos are his by the sheer size of them! He stole a load of apples off the tree yesterday so they obviously didn't agree with him.

Poor old Jess was hiding behind the sofa when I got up, totally disgusted with all the mess and didn't want to come out! Who can blame her! :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Oh no!!!!!

Windows and doors open time! Poor Jess! She won't be wanting to sleep with Rusti over night for a while!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I hate those mornings! Not nice first thing, and it's never a nice firm one is it! I hope the apples are all out of poor Rusti now.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Oh yuck, what a lovely early morning greeting, I bet poor Jess thought she was going to get the blame for it.

Hope Rusti has it all out of his system now, you know he won`t have learnt though!, need to keep him away from those apples :D

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Rusti has had a bit of a dodgy belly today, he keeps squatting but there is nothing left to come out (hardly surprising considering the amount he did overnight)!

He is fine in himself so am not too worried. Just hope we don't have a repeat performance tonight! :roll:

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ettinsmoor said:
Nikki

Do be careful of the apples. They can have serious consequences if they ferment in his stomach.
Should I be worried at the moment Jill? I'm pretty sure that everything came out of him last night and he has been fine in himself today except attempting to squat with hardly anything coming out?

I will have him sleep overnight with me tonight to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Oh poor you! Apples can ferment inside dogs tummies and cause nasty side effects. Hard to clear up, too! :roll:

Apples (crab apples, to be precise) were partly responsible for Charlie's tummy troubles a couple of years ago. They fermented, his intestines swelled with gas, things became impacted into a blockage, and it all resulted in an operation to sort him out. 8O

The good news is that they seem to be going through Rusti. :D The bad news is the clearing up for you. :cry:

Lets hope for no repeat performances tonight.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh blimey, it was crab apples that Rusti ate! 8O

I'm rather worried now. What were the symptoms that Charlie had when you noticed a problem? I guess a bloated belly?

Rusti seems fine, no bloating and I think he's passed everything.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Charlie kept being sick and would wince and arch his back if you felt his belly. He would keep food down for maybe an hour, but often less, and then back it would come, with almost nothing going through him. Eventually, he stopped eating. He couldn't keep water down either, so was beginning to dehydrate.

Charlie had not only gobbled crab apples, but also twigs, gravel and all sorts of other dirt into the bargain so that obviously all came together for him. Labrador is, of course, a euphemism for hoover. :roll: The fermenting of the apples along with everything else caused a temporary blockage and mega gastro-enteritis.

It sounds like Rusti might just have got away with it for now, but I get paranoid now every time I see Charlie go near an apple of any description.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gosh poor Charlie, thank goodness he was ok.

Thanks for the info and keeping my fingers crossed that Rusti will be ok.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
_Nikki_ said:
Thanks for the info and keeping my fingers crossed that Rusti will be ok.
Well, it came on fairly quickly when it happened. My guess is that you would know by now if Rusti was going to be affected in that way, so you may well have got away with it. If he is improving now and eating and drinking more or less normally then he is probably going to be fine.

It is just something to watch for, and see the vet if not happy.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I have given him small amounts of bland food today and he is drinking normally so hopefully he will be ok. Will see how he goes overnight.

I have already had to cut my plum tree down so seems the apple tree is next on the list! :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Sorry Nikki because everything came out Rusti will probably be fine. Just keep an eye on him.

Crab apples are one of the things, because they are sour, that are really not very good at all. I was really trying to warn you that it is not something to be repeated. Yes bloat is a major problem because of the build up of gas.

It if were me and there was no way of clearing the apples the tree would have to go.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Gosh! I fenced off my apple trees because the falling apples were infested with wasps but glad Luna isn't eating them now!

We visited a neighbour on Friday eve and their dog was happily munching their falling apples meaning Luna went from thinking they just had ;lots of balls to realising she could chomp them!

Hope Rusti is ok. Will stop Luna eating apples if we go around again!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts