Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if its just kiah or is it a natural behaviour, if so then why?

Ever since Kiah had the pups, she has not allowed Shady anywhere near them and will tell her in no uncertain terms. Which is fair enough for a new mum to want to protect her babies. However when the boys came in a couple days later she wouldnt allow them near the pen but they were allowed in the room and then after about a week they could pop their noses over to have a look, but still Kiah didnt want Shady in the room full stop. Even now the boys can be in and looking at them I even caught samps laying down in the pen at one point with Kiah on the sofa but Shady is still isnt allowed. Which I find very strange as Kiah and Shady are very close, and she can normally take or leave the boys.

Im not concerned as she did this last time aswel and by week 4-5 Kiah was more than happy to let Shady look after them and play but I just thought it interesting and wondered if anyone knows why.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
In a wolf pack, the group have what is a 'nursery nurse' type figure each time a litter is born. It sometimes is the Omega (lowest ranking peacemaker type) pack member but can be any other member of either sex. However up until around 4 weeks of age the mother wishes her bond to remain solely and sees off pretty much everyone..... or more to the point, they mostly just have the sense to leave her be. However at this turning point stage, she almost literally hands them over to the 'Nursey' except to pop in and feed (so our domestic system of taking the pups over at about a month except for mum to empty out is not in any way 'manufacturered'). WE are that Nursery Nurse.

But it could be that because Shady is a girl, Kiah is more wary of her taking over too soon. We just don't know quite what little battles they have between one another, i know all my girls have never been worried about Deeds coming near their pups almost from day one, but they all jostle to growl and see off each OTHER for the first couple of weeks.... Mallie and Mallies grandmother Penny did so for longer......

Then suddenly everyone is besty mates again. Shiney saw Jade as her biggest threat when the pups were small. Jade IS a very maternal bitch so Shiney was right. Yet at 4 weeks Jade was in cleaning and loving them and Shiney was nudging her in there ;-)

Isn't it facinating.... I love it!
Di

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
If you read 'The Hidden Life of Dogs' by Elizabeth-Marshall Thomas, there is a fascinating chapter (and very sad) about her observations when one of her dogs had pups and how it reacted to the other bitches in the household.

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, it is facinating watching them, and Di what you say about the four week point makes sense as it was at about 4 weeks last time Kiah allowed Shady in to lick and clean and look after them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts