Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! If you’ve read either of my previous posts you’ll have guessed we’re first time pup owners! Haha
The last couple of days Monty seems less interested in his dry kibble? We changed it to grain free around a month ago as he had sloppy poo’s before and now they’re nice and normal so I think it agrees with his gut ( same brand , Harringtons) last night I added bovril and some warm water and he lapped it up ! Is this ok ?
also he’s being a naughty about coming in from the garden when I need him too . Last night I decided to attach a lightweight longline to him so he can still mooch but I can get him in when I need to . The thing is I’ve done it again this morning and he’s really quiet/ sad am I being too soft ? I must admit it’s nice not having to get up every 30 seconds to see what he’s up to !

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
Hi Beverley. There are a number of possibilities.

Firstly sloppy poos. This is often caused by over feeding, the fresh intake of food pushes the previous intake of food through only partly digested. The fact that he is now not so interested in the food could just be that he is now limiting himself, simply not hungry. But then again, we dont always feel like food when the weather gets hot, and dogs are no different.

I'm a bit hard hearted when it comes to food. If it's not eaten it gets picked up, covered so the flies dont get on it, and served up again later. (Whart my mum did to us when I was a child during food rationing!!! ;) ) I would also cut down on the amount slightly, watching to make sure he does not start loosing too much weight.

As to the long line, I never use one. I consider the first year or so of my pup's life is a learning time with me as the teacher. This includes both out for walks and in the garden. OK, it starts off as hard work, but I figure you have to speculate to accumulate. Time spent teaching now is well spent for an easy and happy life later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Beverley. There are a number of possibilities.

Firstly sloppy poos. This is often caused by over feeding, the fresh intake of food pushes the previous intake of food through only partly digested. The fact that he is now not so interested in the food could just be that he is now limiting himself, simply not hungry. But then again, we dont always feel like food when the weather gets hot, and dogs are no different.

I'm a bit hard hearted when it comes to food. If it's not eaten it gets picked up, covered so the flies dont get on it, and served up again later. (Whart my mum did to us when I was a child during food rationing!!! ;) ) I would also cut down on the amount slightly, watching to make sure he does not start loosing too much weight.

As to the long line, I never use one. I consider the first year or so of my pup's life is a learning time with me as the teacher. This includes both out for walks and in the garden. OK, it starts off as hard work, but I figure you have to speculate to accumulate. Time spent teaching now is well spent for an easy and happy life later.
Hi John, any tips or advice on how to get him back in as it usually ends in a game of chase ! Which when I’m trying to leave for work isn’t fun for me anyway 🤦‍♀️

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our puppy wouldnt eat kibble ( our previous dog was fed it for 14yrs with no complaints) but new puppy wouldnt eat it & had very sloppy poos and lost weight..So we tried raw & she loves it & thriving. Id never considered it before....A good website to check nutritional content of food is allaboutdogfood.co.uk and is really helpful resource! To get my puppy in if shes not behavjng i either rattle treat tin or shut door like John suggested!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our puppy wouldnt eat kibble ( our previous dog was fed it for 14yrs with no complaints) but new puppy wouldnt eat it & had very sloppy poos and lost weight..So we tried raw & she loves it & thriving. Id never considered it before....A good website to check nutritional content of food is allaboutdogfood.co.uk and is really helpful resource! To get my puppy in if shes not behavjng i either rattle treat tin or shut door like John suggested!
Have you got details about raw food pls?

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Have you got details about raw food pls?
There's loads of information online these days, lots of groups on FB who help people transition dogs onto raw food as well. I raw feed as well as feeding some processed foods. I buy in large boxes of chicken frames from the butchers and they give me some bones for free that otherwise would go in the bin. I don't feed weight baring bones, but things like lamb rib are great. I've weaned pups onto a bit of raw in their diet as well, it's quite something to see small pups munching through chicken backs and wings!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts