Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if Harry is drinking enough? He had a bit this morning but hasn't touched it since lunchtime. I've tried taking him over to it and showing it ot him but he's completely not interested. I'm hoping he'll drink more later but if not I'm worried. He has a dried food (Masters complete) that came with him and I have been putting quite a lot of water in that, maybe too much, as it's a bit like weetabix and seems to keep soaking it up so not sure when enough is enough.

How much do other puppies drink? he definitely drank more yesterday which was the first day we had him (he's nearly 9 weeks).

Just come back to this! I reckon I put about 1/4 pint water in with this dried stuff, and he has that three times a day plus he has some canned stuff with half the amount of dried at lunchtime. I'm just following what he's been having with breeder. He wees about once an hour on average, sometimes more than once, sometimes less.

G

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If he's having water in with his food and some wet food, don't worry at all about how much he's taking from the bowl. It's winter, so not as much is needed - it's the same for you. Dogs tend to drink when they need it, so try not to panic! I'd be worried if he was having only dried food with no added water and then showing no interest in drinking. Hth.

·
Registered
10,913 Posts
I'll echo that.... try not to worry... just make sure he has free access to it at all times during the day. I've had one puppy who drank very little... and one that drank alllll the time! So much so that I was convinced he was broken!!!!!!

As far as water in the food .... I still add water to my boys food - they are 19 months and 7 months.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's really reassuring, thanks. Though it has to be said I was less worried having just taken him out in the garden and observed him drinking from the hand hole bits of the manhole cover in the garden. Clearly all the dead leaves in there give it an added something that clean water from the tap lacks! And surely nothing that wees that much can lack water???!

G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts