Labradors Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm sure this must have been talked about before but the search function doesn't work for me.

Until she was about 10 months old Chewy had a black nose, then over the course of about a month it changed to a browny pink colour.

Now I don't really care what colour her nose is, she looks equally as cute either way, but I have read that sometimes their noses will go black again, but that if they don't they are at risk of sun burn to the nose in the hot weather.

I just wondered what people's experience of noses was? lol

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
This is called 'Snow Nose' and does happen in Yellow Labs as they get older.

Excerpt from WIKI

Yellow Labradors usually have black noses, which may gradually turn pink with age (called "snow nose" or "winter nose"). This is due to a reduction in the enzyme tyrosinase which indirectly controls the production of melanin, a dark colouring. Tyrosinase is temperature dependent—hence light colouration can be seasonal, due to cold weather—and is less produced with increasing age two years old onwards. As a result, the nose colour of most yellow Labradors becomes a somewhat pink shade as they grow older

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So can they can sunburnt like human skin can?

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Yes they can, for hairless breeds owners use suncream the same as for humans. You can also get a dudley, which is a yellow Labrador with the wrong coloured lip and eye leathers and nose. They often have a paler eye as well.

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
Here is a "Dudley," the lightest one in the photo. My old "Big Bad Bethany" seen here with Lucy. Both long gone now. :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
This is the Dudley from Tau's litter, he's called Oscar, and in some lights he doesn't look that much of a Dudley but he definitely is.

?

·
0 Posts
My Pickle has a lovely pink nose and it's never got sun burnt. It does go a slightly more brown-ish pink in the summer months, but it never burns. I guess when it's really hot and the sun is at it's strongest, I wouldn't be out with the dogs anyway, as they can easily overheat. So just be sensible when the sun's at it's peak and I'm sure you won't have any problems with your dog's nose 8) .

·
Administrator
20,774 Posts
My Pickle has a lovely pink nose and it's never got sun burnt. It does go a slightly more brown-ish pink in the summer months, but it never burns.
I've never had a problem either, and Beth was often out with me whilst I took a class during the heat of the day. Yes it can happen, but it would need an exceptional day. With just a little care it's not likely to be a problem.

Regards, John

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Aww Dudley's have amazing eyes! I had never heard of a Dudley before today.

I am relieved I am not going to have to put suncream on Chewy's nose - she would just lick it straight back off again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts