Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had posted last month about my dog's first heat but looking for some more advice. Roxy stopped bleeding after 20 days, the blood was fairly the same colour during the whole 20 days. This bleeding stopped about a week ago now but she is still very swollen around the vulva and her teats have become a lot larger. The teats nearer the hind legs are also slightly lumpy underneath which I believe may be the milk ducts.

I am 99.9999% sure she is not pregnant. I have kept her inside, and been in the garden with her when she goes to the toilet. She still had her dog walker 2 days a week but they are dog trainers and knew she was in heat so took the proper precautions.

I took her to the vet on Friday and they think it's possibly a phantom pregnancy or just down to her hormones. I thought all the swelling would go down soon after she finished her season but not yet.....how long should I leave it before going back to the vet? Any advice or experiences appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Coco's teats remained quite swollen for 10 weeks after her season and she started producing milk. This was a phantom pregnancy but she didn't do all the nesting and baby stuff that some dogs do. I think her vulva went back to normal fairly soon after her season finished though.

I am a bit over cautious about post season bitches as Coco developed pyometra after her first season. She didn't really show any symptoms but I happened to mention to the vet that she had vomited once and it turned out that she also had a vaginal discharge and a temperature. Other symptoms can be diarrhoea, drinking more than usual, lack of appetite, lethargy. So if you think your girl is showing any of these symptoms you should go back to the vet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. She is drinking quite a bit more but her appetite is definitely still normal. She has just started getting a little discharge, so think I'll be keeping my eye on her and phone the vet if it continues. Did your dog get spayed as soon as they diagnosed pyometra??

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Coco was booked for a spay the following morning but when they checked her bloods they found that the white cell count was high(?) and this would mean that she would not clot as well. They decided to give her a high dose of antibiotics and spay her after the weekend. She was diagnosed on Thursday evening and spayed on the Tuesday. Fortunately she made a full recovery as hers was an open pyometra that was found quite early. I think the most dangerous cases are where the pus doesn't find its way out and festers inside for a long time.

Coco didn't go off her food but was eating it more slowly, she was also a little quieter than usual but I took all this as signs that she had matured. I only actually went to see the vet to ask if they would still spay her the following week when she was still in a phantom pregnancy. I was very lucky that they gave her such a thorough check up and spotted the pyometra.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seasons

Hi,

Not really an answer but information we have a Choc and a female Weimaraner both the same age.

The Labrador first seasoned at 6 months , the Weimaraner nearly 20 months so the Lab was on season 3 before the Weimaraner first seasoned.

As time has progressed their seasons have coincided.

The lab some 9 weeks after season has perhaps one moody/solitary day where she takes herself upstairs and keeps herself to herself.

The Weimaraner 8 weeks post season starts nesting, digging holes getting restless and for a week prepares for birth. Toys have to be removed etc.

She produces milk andwere there ever a needy litter I am sure we could adopt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts