Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any other breeds of dogs are used in gundog work for picking-up? Only my OH (who has hankered for a German Shepherd since I've ever known him) saw a photo of a GS in Shooting Times (apparently 'working') and has been going on about it ever since, trying to wear me down into changing my mind about my next pup, from a Lab to a GS (I wont!!!) Anyway, it's got me wondering, can other non-gundog breeds work as well as gundogs?

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is that Jill? Other breeds can hunt and retrieve - what makes a gundog special?

Becs and The Gang

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Perhaps its just the shoots I have been on Becs very traditional. It is hard enough to find a shoot to get started picking up on without picking up with a non-gundog.

I remember when I started with my Weimaraner I really had to keep at it to find a shoot that would take us and I had to do 2 years in the beating line before they would let me have a go at picking up.

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, but I need a REALLY GOOD reason to give my OH as to why a GS really would never-ever-in-a-million-years be able to be a gundog and therefor meet both our needs!

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
29,722 Posts
Becs said:
Interesting, but I need a REALLY GOOD reason to give my OH as to why a GS really would never-ever-in-a-million-years be able to be a gundog and therefor meet both our needs!
I think if it isn't a gundog then I wouldn't bother... like Jill says its so hard to penitrate the circle and be taken seriously! Now I don't want to start the debate again, but its hard enough with a showbred gundog never mind a dog that isn't even a gundog! :wink:

?

·
0 Posts
Well I've seen plenty of photos of working Standard Poodles, usually retrieving Duck rather than Pheasant though.

The only real problems I can forsee with GSD's is that they tend to be very vocal and also tend to have hard mouths. They are an intelligent breed though, so it should be possible to train them to do most things, even if it doesn't come naturally. But as a Guarding breed, they are about as far away from a Labrador as a bicycle is. :wink:

Pssst....A friend of mine has 2 GSD x GR's.....Great big soppy dogs, who love to play fetch, yet are GSD coloured. Goodness knows where you would get one from though.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I am not saying they couldn't do it, in fact, they would be more than capable (I had a GSD many years ago). You would just need to have your own shoot to be able to get them out picking up on it!!!!

?

·
0 Posts
Becs if you do get a GSD (which is looking unlikely :wink: ) please tell me you'll get a proper old fashioned one....not one of those neurotic, gobby, domineering ones I see so many of round here....or those ones that slope away so badly that they can't walk properly :( .

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Becs said:

Becs and The Gang
OK, how about this reason: the humans have spend hundreds of years to breed/create gundogs breed with one purpose only: to assist us when we're out in the shooting field. This breed work includes 'soft mouth'.

The guard dog breeds have been bred to guard (while we've gone shooting :lol: ) and to firmly lock their teeth into some one's arm in case they break in. Total different breed - total different 'mouth'. A fox will have more picking up instinct than most GS's so there you go: if you want something different for the shooting field get a fox!

Natasha

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Contender said:
A fox will have more picking up instinct than most GS's so there you go: if you want something different for the shooting field get a fox!

Natasha
:lol: :lol: :lol: So now OH is in a bit of a sulk and said 'we'll get a fox then, and paint some GS-lookong black bits on it!' :roll:

Thanks Natasha - I think you've helped me win this arguement!!!

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
At my dog school we have loads of GSD's through the doors and most of them have developed problems that just seem to sneak up.

Their natural instinct is to work. Their natural work involves guarding and herding. So, if you want him to round up all the birds and then guard them, he's your man!

They are quick to develop problems in inexperienced hands. The degree is dependant on lots of factors, obviously. They can develop chase aggression. They are vocal. They are hard mouthed. They are 'mouthy'. He'll chase a runner but he'll more than likely 'rag' it before he gives it back to you.

They are loyal. Sometimes this in itself can cause problems. They hate doing the sit stay if it means you're away from them.

These are all things that can be overcome given the right training though and they are lovely intelligent dogs. I'm sure you'll know how they are used as sniffer dogs and guide dogs.

So, if it were me and I wanted my GSD to do picking up type work, I'd have to say it wouldn't happen with my first GSD and maybe not even my second. Once I have learned the breed and made the mistakes I might then be able to develop the dog into a picking up dog.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
But Michelle I have seen Labradors doing all the things you have listed above.

Believe me it is all down to the training that a dog is given. A GSD will retrieve and hunt just as well as a labrador if it is trained correctly. They do very well in Working Trials and they have to hunt and retrieve very small articles from a search square and deliver them to hand :D .

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jill! :lol:

Can we just agree that The Gang would NOT benefit from the addition of a German Shepherd please?!!!

Becs and The Gang

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yes, I agree. I was just trying to emphasise the natural instincts of the dog. Scent work is part of the training we do. Actually, the GSD's at my club were involved in developing the "dogs smelling human pee to detect cancer" stuff.

?

·
0 Posts
Becs said:
Can we just agree that The Gang would NOT benefit from the addition of a German Shepherd please?!!!
Becs.....Flo would hate it. It would stand over her, eyeballing her and trying to dominate her (well that's my experience of every GSD I've met anyway) and she would feel obliged to rip it's throat out (as every good JRT would :wink: ).

Good GSD's seem rare these days, I mean even the Police Forces are buying in dogs from abroad because the ones bred over here don't fit their requirements. And I know GDBA have a dreadful job getting a good one for someone who requests a GSD. Most fail before they get as far as Training because of their unsuitable temperaments.

I used to quite like GSDs, as the ones I knew as a child were lovely, patient, loyal dogs....but I haven't met one like that for years now. :(

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I used to quite like GSDs, as the ones I knew as a child were lovely, patient, loyal dogs....but I haven't met one like that for years now
Do you know Jules, I think you're right. I hadn't really thought about it, but my SIL had a lovely one years ago, and the ones I knew when I was younger were lovely. The ones I seen now all seem to have problems and quite a few I've known from puppies, but not one has turned out like the GSD's I remember.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I saw a JRT pick up the other week :wink:

was quite a sight. Apparently you have to get him back pronto though otherwise the bird becomes lunch!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was at my training classes tonight and i waS TALKING TO 1 ONE OF THE OTHER TRAINERS THAT BREEDS ROTTES.AND SHE USES 1 OF HER ROTS AS A THERAPY DOG.ANOTHER DOSE AGILITY AND HER THIRD IS USED IN THE FIELD FOR FLUSHING BUT DOES NOT LIKE THE TEXTURE OF THE FEATHER FOR PICKING UP LOL. JUST THOUGHT ID THROW IT INTO THE MIX LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts