Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to believe that our golden girl is almost a year old.
She's slept by herself downstairs in the kitchen since day 1 - crated until a couple of months ago, never had any problems with her bedtime routine.
A couple of times recently........and 3 times last night she has started barking with some growling mixed in and we are wondering how best to handle this new development to, hopefully, avoid it becoming a habit.
Last night, during the second session of barking my OH went downstairs to check she and everything else was ok. He says she was pleased to see him but was also presenting as very stressed, rapid breathing, mouthing, charging around with her blanket and teddy in her mouth.
She didn't seem to need to go out but he put her out anyway, she just did a very small wee.
In the end to calm her he had to lay on the floor with her and hold her quite tightly, that seemed to do the trick.
A couple of hours later she started again, this time I called out ( walls paper thin here!) " Be quiet Jas, everything's ok, we're all here " after a few more barks and a couple of whines she settled again and then was ok until getting up time.
So, is it a case of she's just doing her job and we should pop down, keeping it very low key ( would have been very difficult the state she was in!) check round and go back to bed or is completely ignoring it the way to go......a bit like you have to do first couple of nights with a new pup......hands over ears......
I hate to think of her very distressed all by herself.
Oh, just to add, the kitchen is nice and warm , she sleeps near the Aga

·
Administrator
21,661 Posts
Something around? Fox maybe? Chloe is not a barker but I do occasionally hear her. I have thought about putting a trail cam up in the garden, I think it's a haven for wildlife at night. I must say, I ignore her when she barks.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Perhaps she's missing her crate? Could be she's not feeling as safe and secure without it.

Reactions: Mrs H.A

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi there,
We have had a couple of nights when Stanley was barking. I did go down the first night and he was fine and wanting to play so then we ignored him. This was when he wasn’t in the crate a couple of months ago. We have reintroduced the crate about a month ago but leave the door open and I have to say he does seem to sleep better. He takes himself off at various times of the day too. It could be like MandyB says that she might be missing the crate.
I hope she settles down for you as it’s not nice if she’s worried on a night time. Xx

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,
We have had a couple of nights when Stanley was barking. I did go down the first night and he was fine and wanting to play so then we ignored him. This was when he wasn’t in the crate a couple of months ago. We have reintroduced the crate about a month ago but leave the door open and I have to say he does seem to sleep better. He takes himself off at various times of the day too. It could be like MandyB says that she might be missing the crate.
I hope she settles down for you as it’s not nice if she’s worried on a night time. Xx
Yes, I'm wondering if she's got a bit too much space now - we're thinking about making a little cubby hole for her bed, we've noticed that when she's asleep in the lounge in the evening she loves sleeping under the footrests of the sofas - dark and feels enclosed 😀 Xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts