Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buster is 5 and half months old now and is still nipping and pulling at peoples clothes :? . I have tried all kinds of ways to stop him doing this like yelling 'ouch' telling him 'no', 'leave it' and 'off' but he still does it.

He is teething so I wondered if that might be the cause of it, he's realy getting too big to be nipping now but I don't know what else to do to stop him. :?

Any suggestions welcome

Kev

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

After the age of approx 14 weeks biting will have a different meaning and needs to be handled differently. Puppy mouthing will have become a CONTROLLED BITE- have no illusions! If your pup was to bite his mum too hard, she would swiftly whip round to make sharp, intense eye contact with him, whilst giving him a very angry-sounding snarl/bark, and snap right in his face, without making contact. She would then get up and walk away from him. You can mimic this, when puppy puts his teeth on any part of you, by turning round quickly and snapping "OFF!" into puppy's face, whilst making intense, angry, eye contact very briefly (your expression must show real anger for a split-second), then getting up and moving away from the puppy. Timing is again, important - it must occur at the exact time the behaviour starts and must finish immediately after you have delivered your "message".
Sound like a text book don't I! Hope this helps, it worked for my dog ben, but every dog is different.

Goodluck

Cristina & ben :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Cristina is right, this method does work. The important thing,and this is something that isnt always emphasised when recommending it, is to make sure the dog knows you mean it!

As Christina says, show it in your eyes and voice, startle him into understanding that he is out of line. Saying a half hearted "Oww" merely gets the dog even more excited making it even more likely to snap

Even in these days of enlightened training methods its sometimes necessary to be firm and assertive to stop certain behaviours IMO.

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Kev

I can fully understand your concerns. Smudge is 6 months old and still does these things too - but mainly to me! He doesn't do it to Chris or others when we see them. But then, I'm the one that plays with him most so I wonder if that's the reason?

I use the methods described here and they are starting to work. I find it best to walk away and shut the door after me so he knows I'm not pleased, but we then both get a cooling off period.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi kev..

I'm sailing in the same boat as yours....Frodo is 4 and half and the only person he loves to bite is me and his stuff ..Luckily he does not chew my furtinure... and strangely he does not chew his chewies.... I guess this is just the begining as i've got him just a month back..... I'm gonna try what cyrst44 suggested.....

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

Thanks you all for your replies giving advice and support :)

I shall from now on take your advice and make Buster understand in no uncertain terms that this behaviour is unacceptable! I just hope he gets the message.

He doesn't do it to me as much as other people. I don't know if that's because I am with him most of the time. He is my dog and I am the one who feeds/plays/trains/grooms etc him. But having said that he does it to other people frequently, mainly when he greets people (with a wagging tail, ears back :? ) and then starts to pull at their clothes and nip them.Anyway at the end of the day it has to stop, so I will keep you posted on how I get on.

Once again thanks

Kev

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Buster nipped me yesterday so I really went to town on him (verbally) and went off into the kitchen and shut the door. He was crying outside the kitchen door so I ignored him for a while. He hasn't done it since, I don't know if this is a fluke as I would have thought it would take more than one attempt to break the habit.

I have just taken him down the local shops where he insists on dragging me to everybody to say hello and I noticed that he was licking instead of nipping :) . So fingers crossed it might have done the trick, or at least I am one step forward, whereas before I just wasn't getting anywhere with him. Although I am still watching out to see if he does it again( and to some degree expecting him to do it :?). Anyway time will tell.

Thanks once again

Kev

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi,

Glad to hear it is working, If he does do it again just keep repeating it untill he gets the message! Hope all goes well. Good luck :D

Cristina & Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts