Labradors Forums banner

Nipping

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RosieJayne 
#1 ·
Morning Everyone

Jester is only 9 weeks old, and i know that he will nip, due to his puppy teeth. Can any of you advise me the best way to try and stop this, he has a few toys and one of those teething bones but he is not very interested in it. Are there any other toys or anything that i can get him.
His teeth are quite sharp and it is quite sore, im not too fussed about me but its my youngest is only 2 and she is not too happy when he chews on her feet/fingers :cry:

I know that he will grow out of it i just wondered if you had any tips for me

Thanks
Lyndsya xxx

#5 ·
Hi thanks.

I have been saying NO quite loudly and pushing him down when he jumps up. He does seem to have a fetish for shoe laces boot cut trousers and cuffs :D

I have knotted an old tea towel, thanks Kay, he seems to like playing with that. When he goes to nip i have been throwing him that to distract him and he runs off with it.

Will keep on persevering but he has definately settled in now he's getting cheeky. I lost count of how many times i had to pull him out from behind the tv this morning. its now barricaded so that he cant get behind it :wink:

Lyndsay xxx

#6 ·
Hi,

When Tilly was at that stage ( and I had bleeding knuckles ) I just gave a short sharp sqeaul or ' ouch' , then ignored for a few seconds to copy what would happen in the litter / pack.

This worked for me and quite quickly too.

Their little gums and teeth must really iritate so the tea towel trick does help, although I used a wet t towel.

Found it more soothing to her teeth and gums with the added bonus of making the tea towel last longer as it had a greater resistance to needles and pins ! ( puppy teeth ! )

Also was good lesson to help instill order of pack !

Rhoni

#7 ·
Hiya,

We've been having the same trouble with Molly (11.5 weeks old). We did the 'ouch', 'no', standup fold arms and ignore thing. That's worked quite well for us and the nipping has decreased significantly.

The one thing that I'm finding is that if Molly is excited or pleased or wants to say hello, she tries to lick but also gets her paws in on the action and she's still got very sharp claws. I want her to lick and be gentle with her mouth (which she is doing more of and want to encourage), but I don't want her to scratch with her claws - any ideas folks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.