Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I’ve taken so much information from reading your posts over the past few weeks. Thank you for the help and advice you’ve already given me.

I’m Lisa and I’m mum to an adorable 13 week old black Labrador called Stanley.
Stanley has completely taken over our lives and hearts. We are so thankful to have him in our family.

He is doing really well and I’ve no concerns. I was just after a little advice from you about Stanley’s sleeping pattern at night.

He has his last meal at 7pm and tends to sit with us on the sofa and chill/sleep until we go to bed at 10. We take him out before we go to bed and he does a wee. He takes himself into his crate in the kitchen/diner and we cover the crate and go to bed. When we first brought him home I used to set an alarm and take him out at 2/3ish and 5/6 ish. As he’s gotten older I’ve stopped setting the alarm and I tend to bob down when I hear him stirring.This used to be once a night but recently he is stirring at 1:30 and 4:30 ish. Each time I take him outside with minimum fuss, no talking other than praise when he goes to the toilet and I use a torch to avoid putting the light on. He always manages a wee and sometimes a poo. He then wakes up at 5:45-6:15 ish. I take him out then and make a cuppa and he then comes and falls asleep in my lap.

I just wanted to ask your advice on how to get him to sleep a little longer or am I expecting too much of him?

He doesn’t bark in the night he tends to whine a little and sometimes goes back to sleep after a couple of minutes. If he continues that’s when I get up to take him out. He always goes when I take him out. He always goes back to sleep when he goes back into his crate too.

He does nap during the day but an hour is usually the longest he will sleep. I’ve tried to get him to have a couple of longer naps during the day so he will be awake early evening and hopefully more tired for nighttime but he just won’t sleep for long during the day.

Sorry for such a long post. I hope I’ve covered everything and thank you if you’re still reading!

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips.
Lisa

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,214 Posts
Hello Lisa,
It's certainly possible for a 13 week old puppy to last through the night, but whether they do or not is a different thing. My Amy arrived here at just 7 weeks old, and was clean and dry all night within 3 days. Chloe was 8 weeks old when I brought her home and took 4 days. BUT, I despaired of Beth ever being clean! She took 6 months! And it was not that she was stupid, she was one of the cleverest in most things, it was just that she could not see any reason to not go!

These days I am a believer of gradually stretching my pups. If it works leaving them to 3am then I'll try to 3-30am and so on. I dont get up before because I dont want my pup to learn that she can call me. (If you can follow what I mean) If they learn that they only need squeak and you will come arunning then you will be making a rod for your back.

Normally I start by getting up twice during the night, say 2am, 4am and and then get dressed at 6am. If my pup is still clean at 2am then I'll miss that one and bring the 4am one back to 3am. If thats OK then I miss the 3am break out still getting up at 6am. When I'm no longer getting up during the night I'll start to put back the time of getting dressed gradually until I've go back to the time I really want to get up. (In my case, being retired, 8am)

So you can see how I'm gradually stretching my pup, moving slowly in the direction I want. I dont set an alarm, I'm one of those people who can normally wake up when I want.

·
Premium Member
8,959 Posts
They all vary, as John says. At the early early morning let out (mine moved gradually from 4:30 am to 5:30am) I let out, then put back in crate with a stuffed kong until I was ready to get up myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you John and Maddie, they certainly are all different and have their own personalities. I’ll try the stuffed Kong idea to see if I can get an extra hour in bed 😀.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts