Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All

I have a 8 week old boy and I am after advice as to bedtime, for the last 2 nights Archie hasn't been settling at night and will only settle after me going down 3 or 4 to comfort him.

He is currently been kept in a large dog cage at night which I was told is the best thing todo

Any ideas what I can do so he settles

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
It does take time I'm afraid!

Poppy slept in her 'bedroom' the porch/utility room. For the first few nights I put her to bed and sat in the doorway so she could see me until she settled, then I went to bed. I did get a baby monitor as once the bottom half of the stable door into the porch was closed I was worried I wouldn't hear her. She rarely made a fuss and would sleep through.

I still use the baby monitor and Poppy will still chirp up on the odd occasion! I think she likes to know we are still in the house and she hasn't been deserted!

We did let her have the run of the house at night but she like her personal space!

Susan and Poppy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Welcome :wave:

For this question you will get as many solutions as there are people on here :)

This is mine -

Going down to comfort him will cause him to cry more as it will become learned behaviour "crying brings Mum/Dad for company".

I put my alarm on for 3am and 5am and took Tatze to the loo for the first week, no talking, no fuss. Then just five am for the second (but they do differ in how soon they can hold their bladder, it may need to be more than two weeks) So then the pup is coming out on your terms, not theirs.

Once they discover that they are perfectly safe in there they will settle fine. Another thing I did, in the morning, was to wander around the kitchen, put the kettle on etc so that seeing me didn't cause her to expect immediate out. Now she's really patient in her crate until breakfast time (8am :)).

I also popped her in the crate when she was tired during the day so that she got used to snoozing in there - quietly opening the door so that when she woke up she could wander out.

Nylabone keys are great for chewing in the crate - stops bored bed chewing. Ours lasted 'till Tatze was eight months old then one night she destroyed them (big back teeth!) she now has the nylabone 'big beef bone'.

Also, make the crate as cosy as you can - this was Tatze's first day with us (ahhhhh, memories, they grow SO fast!) and her crate was like that for ages.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I agree. Going down every time pup cries just makes it worse. Just like kids you have to let them cry it out first few nights. Within a few nights they soon settle. I still leave radio on low in kitchen for both of them.

I got up at 3am for first few months for wee break and then straight back to bed no fussing.

Keep everything quiet no fussing. Pups do learn quickly

·
Registered
155 Posts
As someone has said above, everyone does what suits them. I suspect I am in a minority but it works for me. (Have raised 3 puppies over the years)

I don't use a crate. I took Molly's bed up to my room and put her in it when I went to bed. She cried a bit and I said reassuring things. The first night I had to get up twice when she cried urgently, clearly needing a wee. Second & third night was once each time and after that she slept through, no wees or mess (though I got up at 6 a.m.)

After I'd had her about 8 weeks and she seemed settled and was used to being left for an hour during the day, I simply said one night, 'You're going to sleep down here tonight.' She got in her bed in the living room (where it is during the day), I went to bed and that was that.

I used the same approach for my two previous dogs (Lab and cocker spaniel).

I should do what you feel happy doing. (I wouldn't leave a baby to cry either.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also got up every 2 hours to let Hugo out for a wee then straight back to bed.

It seemed to work though he now sleeps till 10am at weekends, lazy boy.

I also sectioned off his large cage so he only had access to about a third of it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi there,

My method was to put Pepper in a crate that had a divider to make it smaller and comfy vet bedding in it to make it cosy. We kept Pepper's crate nearest the door (as i'm a heavy sleeper and wanted to assure success) and I slept on the sofa next to it.

We did this for about 10 days and at first we woke up every two hours and went out. But I made this fuss free and relatively quiet. Eventually I found myself sleeping for four, then five hours and once it was 7 hours we knew we'd cracked it!

I'm not someone who likes her nights broken, so I wanted Pepper to understand that nighttime was for sleep, not play, quickly!

Good luck with your little one and post some piccies as we LOVE babies here!

Hannah & Pepper xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts